Chapter Four: The Beast

Gray sighed with relief when the train finally stopped. The awkward silence was absolutely killing him. Erza walked out calmly and Gray followed.

They first stopped by the town's only hotel to get a room. Since they were on a budget, thanks to Natsu destroying the town on their previous mission, they only got one room.

Next they visited the person who requested them. A young woman answered the door.

They showed their Fairy Tail marks, and the woman sighed in relief.

"Paul, the Fairies, they came!" the woman called excitedly.

A man, which they assumed was Paul, arrived at the door. "You're here, thank goodness! Come on in, please, sit down."

Erza stepped in with authority, and Gray followed.

There were two chairs and a sofa in the middle of the room. Paul and the woman sat in the chairs, so Gray and Erza sat on the sofa.

The woman said hurriedly, "Oh, my name is Mary. And as for your mission, there has been a terrible monster terrorizing this town, and-"

"That seems so easy, though! Why the hell is it an S-Class quest?" Gray interrupted. Erza hit him hard and apologized.

"Please continue," Erza said calmly, as Gray groaned next to her.

Mary stared at Gray for a moment, but continued.

"This quest is S-Class, because many strong wizards have been defeated and even killed by this monster. The mayor stopped requesting people to come help us because he considered it a 'suicide mission' and didn't want to be blamed for anyone's murder. But we needed help bad. We have no wizards here, so I took matters into my own hands and requested for Fairy Tail. I've heard you won the GMG's. You have to help us!" Mary cried out.

Gray's ears played on repeat just one part of her explanation.

Many strong wizards have been defeated and even killed by this monster. Gray remembered. What is with these strong beasts?

Erza had a determined look on her face. "I promise, on the pride of Fairy Tail, that we will save your village," Erza declared. Gray nodded.

They agreed that they would fight the beast tomorrow, and walked back to the hotel.

Gray opened the door to their room, only to stare wide-eyed at something inside.

"Well what is it?" Erza asked, annoyed.

"See for yourself," Gray mumbled. He stepped inside and then made his way to a bed. The only bed in the entire room.

Erza stared, then said, "I call bed!"

"No way! Sleep on the floor!" Gray retorted.

After a bit of arguing, Erza finally said, "Fine, I'll sleep on the floor."

So they went to sleep that way. Or, Erza went to sleep, and Gray watched from the bed as Erza tossed and turned uncomfortably.

When Erza woke up, she was hugging Gray's arm on the bed as Gray snored softly.