A Day in Town

"Hey, watch it!"

"Move it, girl!"

"Get out of the way!"

I heard the merchants call out to me as I passed their weapons shop.

"Get out of my shop!" One of them threw his bottle at me. I rolled my eyes and walked out of the shop with my weapons. The man was so drunk, he didn't realize that I was trying to pay him. Oh well, more money for me. I walked through the town, buying supplies and food that I needed. I walked around enjoying the sights, I wouldn't be able to come back after the news of the battle got out, especially with Jemithar and that good for nothing friend of his out and about. I bought myself a few books, and turn to look at a kind lady selling animals. I stood there, watching the children pick and choose their favorite. The prettiest fish, bird, cat, or dog out of the lot. I watched when the woman handed them each their prize choice. I had looked at every pet shop in every town to see if I could find the one clue that I needed to find the perfect pet for me. After all, I am a teenage girl on the run, I get lonely every once in a while, but I am also a forbidden remainder of a once powerful race. I sighed and took one last look at the wrist of the shop owner. There it was! The faint and small tattoo that only my eyes would catch. Finally, I could get myself a companion. I waited until the rush of the hour passed before I approached the woman.

"Ma'am?"

She turned and smiled warmly.

"Yes, dear. How may I help you?"

"I would like to get a pet for myself. A traveling companion, please. One that can take care of itself, but comes when called." She thought about my request for a moment, I've got a dog, would that be suitable?"

"No, I'm afraid not." I remembered an old way that the adults would show their identity to storekeepers. I closed my eyes and I felt them change. My left, a deep purple and my right, a blood red. I opened them for just a second, enough for the woman to see. When I opened my normal looking eyes again, her mouth was agape.

"P-Please," she said when she recovered her voice. "Please, come inside." She walked inside, with me trailing her. I turned to make sure no one had seen me and walked into the dark building.