Interviews & Invitations

ابدأ من البداية

"What was the happiest moment of your life?"

She thinks for a moment. "Probably when my dad took me to the Valentine's Day dance in first grade." She says lightly.

"And?" I press on, eager to hear what she has to say.

She replays the memory in her head. "My dress was hot pink, and he wore a tie to match. We drove and he opened the door for me like I was a movie star, and let me try every dessert at the concessions table," She pauses. "The best part was the slow dance. I stood on his feet and he would twirl me around. It was amazing."

There's a glint of happiness in her eyes. Something that is usually not there. She is a beautiful girl, and every time she talks to me my mood changes. Everything becomes brighter.

"I love that." I say.

She shyly looks down, then looks back at me. "What about you?" She asks.

I smile. "The day Mia was born. She was so cute, but she did cry a lot."

Grace giggles, something she does where she squints her eyes and covers her mouth with her hand. Her laugh rings through the air, a warm, happy feeling growing in my chest.

"Do you guys ever fight?" She asks.

I shrug. "We used to when we were kids. Not much anymore. Sometimes she gets mad when I eat her takeout. You know, she made me dress up as a princess with her when we were little."

She laughs again. "That is one sight I would not mind seeing," She says. "You should reenact it."

"Maybe I will," I laugh with her. "Mind if we play 20 questions?" I ask, wiggling my eyebrows.

"Go for it." She replies, taking another bite of her lunch.

"Where have you always wanted to travel to?"

She thinks for a minute. "Rome. It's beautiful, and the architecture is incredible," She has a dreamy look in her eyes. "I'd love to travel the world someday. Maybe take photographs across the globe. Can you imagine? Getting to go to exotic places and see cool things, and getting paid to do so? Seems like a dream."

"Didn't you say you want to be a doctor?"

"Yeah, I guess I wanna do that too."

"Why don't you become a photographer?" I ask.

She takes a swig of water. "Science and math are safe. I know I'm good at them, I know they'll make me a living, so," She tilts her head. "This is more of an interview, not twenty questions."

"Fine, lets do an interview," I say happily. I hold a pretend microphone. "What is the most embarrassing thing you did as a child?"

I hand the pretend microphone to her and she takes it, grinning. "Hmm, that's a good one," She says. "I wore Cinderella high heels everywhere until I was eight years old. Don't really know what I was thinking,"

"Why Cinderella?" I ask.

"I thought I looked like her," She answers, pointing to her blonde hair and laughing.

"Ah, I see. Question four."

I ask her a bunch of questions, and each answer is different than what you would predict. I learn that Grace Baker does not like the smell of sharpies when I asked her how she was different than the world population. She told me that her favorite animals were dolphins because they were intelligent. And I found out that she has a bad habit of pushing doors that clearly say pull. She said she scrapes the cream off her Oreo's and then eats the cookie. She said she aims to learn something new everyday, and her biggest fear is being alone. She told me that she could eat cinnamon rolls every day for the rest of her life, and also that if she had a cat she'd name him Romeo. I couldn't help the ever growing smile on my face at the end of it all. I clear my throat to ask her number twenty.

"The final question. Are you ready for this, Grace Baker?" I slowly ask.

She nods her head. "Bring it on."

"Are you going to Luke's Halloween Party next Friday?" I ask hopefully.

She freezes. "I have never been invited to a party." Is all she says.

"What about birthday parties?"

She giggles. "Those don't count."

"But-will you come with me to this one?"

"I won't be much fun..." She trails off.

"I find that hard to believe, Grace Baker."

"Okay. I'll go." She says.

"Yay!"

"But as friends, right?"

My heart drops, but I still keep a smile on my face. As long as I get to go with her.

"Friends." I state as the lunch bell rings.

She smiles and throws her food away. "See you later."

"Goodbye, Grace Baker!" I call out, watching her curls swing as she walks away, joy filling my chest. I keep smiling to myself as Luke comes over and joins me.

"What's got you in such a peppy mood?" He wonders.

"I invited Grace Baker to the Halloween Party."

"Why?" He laughs.

I send him a glare and shake my head. "She is the most amazing girl I have ever met."

"Are you trying to get laid or something? I will admit, that ass–"

"Shut the hell up," I mutter as he eyes her backside up and down. "Look at me," I say, catching his eye. "You don't know her." But I do.

And I am proud of that.

❁ ❁ ❁

Hello! How'd you guys like this chapter? What do you think of Luke? You may not like him but just wait lol. He's kinda annoying but hopefully he will go through some character development ;) What do you think the party will be like?

-Acreativeblur