Chapter 30

"What do you mean he's not?" I asked.

            "Cody literally does this to every girl, he convinces all of them he really likes them when he doesn't. He may think they're hot or he may be a little interested but he doesn't love them as much as the girl thinks he does. And we always tell him to stop doing that but it's always 'no, I swear guys, this girl is different, I really love her' but it never ends up that way," Carter said.

            "So why did nobody tell me that??" I cried.

            "Because none of us knew you were getting with him!" Duke said.

            "No one told me to tell Kelli though," I said, feeling bad for her when I shouldn't have after what she'd said.

            "Because she really loved him. What were we going to say? 'Your boyfriend is actually such a dick?' Like no, we can't say that! And you know, Cody's our boy, we're always there for him but we know him better than anyone else. He doesn't treat girls right and we can't figure out why girls think he does," Graham said.

            "That might be true for other girls but that's not what happened with me and him. He really loved me and I really loved him," I told them.

            "And what girl is he going after right now? Because it's not you," Carter said. I started to cry more and Mattie hit Carter and said, "We're just really sorry he took Kelli's side. But she is his girlfriend..."

            "I get it, he's hers. You can stop reminding me that I was the whore who ruined all of that. But he'll come around. He had to go to her first, it's only right. He'll come back after and let me know how things went," I assured them.

            But he didn't.

~~~~~~~

            It was seven thirty a.m. on the first day of school and I walked up to my locker. Kelli was nowhere in sight but in big, bold, black Sharpie letter on my locker spelled 'SLUT' underlined twice. Perfect. Great way to start the year.

            I put in my combination and the second I did, a note fell out. I picked it up and in the same handwriting sprawled on the paper was 'He was your best friend's boyfriend. But you still had to do it.' Cool, Kelli, I understand my mistake. I slammed my locker a little harder than I should have, accidentally attracting attention.

            I heard a copy of my laugh down the hall and knew it was Kelli. She couldn't have written the word on my locker or the note in it. I looked to see her holding hands with Cody as he carried her books. I immediately turned around the other way and started walking so I didn't have to see them.

            I was heading straight for the senior hallway but it was too late to turn around. I saw the guys standing around one of their lockers talking and I went up to them. None of them had talked to me since the sleepover at Carter's last week, but it's not like we were never friends at all. They'd have to acknowledge me. "Hey guys," I said.

            "Oh, hey..." they gave each other a nervous look as if to say 'why are you talking to me?' I guess they sensed that I knew this but Carter tried to make a joke.

            "Saw your locker," he laughed. The other guys hit him and apologized for it. I pursed my lips tight and looked down.  "You should probably go," Carter said, cocking his head to let me know someone was behind me. I turned and saw Cody, without Kelli to my surprise.

            I had every sign telling me never to get started with him. I knew it wouldn't end well. I knew everyone would find out and hate me. I knew things with him wouldn't last forever. I knew all of this would happen. But I did it anyway.

            Cody walked past his friends and greeted them with head nods, but he walked straight past me.

            Like nothing. Ever. Happened.

THE END

**** Before you comment freaking out about how much you hate the ending, please read the sequel.