3. Making History

It's quiet. Way too quiet, and it sends everyone's skin crawling and mind whirling.

No one knows what to say to her, words failing them every time they open their mouths. They try to form sentences filled with hope that he's still alive, that he's not dead, but all that comes to mind is bitter thoughts and they seal their lips.

"He's gone," you speak first, your voice hard. "I saw him get shot. None of you tell me otherwise or I'll punch you."

Steve swallows, drops his head against the wall. "We should get going,"

You frown, gripping the railing tighter as you peer over the edge of the building. They tense as you lean closer.

"We made history today," Clint says. "That's something, right? Saving those cities."

"Yeah," you murmur, eyes closed. "Yeah. Bucky didn't die for nothing."

Steve swipes at tears, sniffling before clearing his throat. "We should get going," he repeats, standing and pads over to you. "Come on."

You turn, slowly take his extended hand and climb to your feet. "I just can't believe he's gone, you know?"

He nods, pulls you close as he leads you to the car, Natasha and Clint trailing quietly behind you.

"I'm glad he met you," he says once everyone's piled into the van: Clint and Nat in the front, and you and Steve in the back. Your head is on his shoulder and his arm around yours. "You made him happier."

You smile sadly, resting the urge to cry as you meet his eyes. "He made me happy, too."