Her face wet, she held him close again. In their embrace, she shook, grabbed the back of his head, and started sobbing. "Don't leave me. I can't lose my last one! I can't lose one more! I can't lose one more! I can't lose my last one!" Aeden held her close, her head on his shoulder, his eyes clear, stroking her hair.

   After several minutes, her cries slowed to whimpers, and he spoke again, "Mother, my king needs me. I will return. I promise I will return. And we will have vengeance on the warlord. I will return. Believe me, mother, I will return."

   Shaking still, she held his shoulders and looked him in the eye. "Your father has taught you well, and he would be so proud of the man you are becoming. But do not go for vengeance, my son. Go for our king and our creator." She held him tightly again, then pulled at his arm. "Come. Follow me."

   She led him to the small house and entered. She found her travel bag and removed her personal copy of the Chronicles that she had copied and illustrated by hand many years before. "Take this. You must complete yours. I'm sure you will have some time on the journey, when others rest but your mind wanders. Finish your Chronicles." He nodded, and accepted the gift, though almost it was too great to accept. The lady dithered around the house for several minutes longer, looking for more items to give to her departing son, who patiently stood and accepted all she offered. Exhausted of anything more to give, she looked at him and the tears came once more. They said their goodbyes, and though she blessed him and smiled for him at the last, their parting was bitter for them both.

   The party left after sunset-by night, so as to avoid any spies of the warlord. They crossed the great fields surrounding the city of Ramath, staying off the main roads, and aimed for the forest that clothed the lower foothills of the mountains. For many hours that night, the group walked, crossing streams, climbing rising hills, until they finally came to rest in a thicker part of the forest at the crest of a low mountain.

   "Let us make camp and sleep here for a few hours." Announced the master healer. In the silence, Aeden could hear the calling of owls and the chorus of crickets on the gentle breeze. It was a warm night for fall, and the company saw no need for a fire and simply laid out their bedding under the trees and stars, most retiring to bed immediately. Several lingered awake for a time, telling stories from legend and Chronicle, speculating on the identity of the warlord, debating the meaning of life and a rohva's place in it-talk easily inspired by a moonless night under the wheeling stars overhead.

   Rupert wondered aloud, "I wonder what the first town is that we will come to?"

   Diana, nearing sleep, mumbled softly, "The town of Lofgren, I believe. The lord of the town is friend to the master healer..." and she drifted off.

   After the talking and joking had faded somewhat, Frederick murmured, "A song? Someone?"

   Betha replied, "Please, Frederick, go ahead."

   "Oh no. I'm not a singer, and you will exile me from the mission if I attempt it. Surely one of our noblebrats..."

   Silence. Then Aeden spoke: "Very well, ... my father sang this to me often as a child before we retired for bed." He cleared his throat, and very softly, so as not to disturb the sleepers, sang:

   "Where have you gone, my dear one?

   Why have you left, left me alone?

   Come to my side, my lovely dear one,

   Return to me, my heart and home.

   Where have you gone, my dear one?

   Where did you go, when night was nigh?

   Your place is here, my lovely dear one,

   Come back to me, and near me lie.

   Where have you gone, my dear one?

   Show me your place, my little child.

   We miss you so, my lovely dear one,

   Unveil your face, forever mild."

   He trailed off, fading to silence. The crickets continued their song around them, the night punctuated now and again by light snores from the master healer.

   "Not bad." Frederick said in a near whisper before he, too, fell to sleep. Betha alone remained awake, lying on her bedding facing the forest, her heart pounding as the song still echoed in her ears. After several minutes of conflicted thought, she rolled over and glanced at the sleeping Aeden. "Royal brat," she whispered to herself as she curled up to sleep.