Chapter Seven

Hey everybody! I just wanted to say thank you to all who have read, voted and/or commented on my story because I really appreciate it. It's my brainchild (i desinged it at Haverty's) and I'm proud of what I've accomplished with it. Seeing other people enjoy it is icing on the cake. So here's some more for you to enjoy!

--Love Mady

© 2013. Heroes for Hire. All rights reserved. 

Chapter Seven

He wasn’t the only one. There was Russell, Peter, Cameron and Nigel. All abnormal in their own fantastic ways. A team of amazing people tasked by the army with preforming impossible feats. If there was a team of them like that, was it possible, feasible even, that there could be more?

“Theresa?” My mom poked her head into my room.

I’d been lounging on my bed so much recently, I think there’s a perfect Theresa sized indentation.

“Yeah Mom?”

“Your father and I are leaving now, are you going to be alright home by yourself?”

“I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to come with us?”

“Positive, now go have fun. I’m just going to practice some jujitsu downstairs.”

“Alright baby, I love you.” She gave me a kiss on the forehead, “You know you could come with us right? Your always welcome and I know that our friends are dying to meet you.”

“Let me guess, you talk about me all the time?”

She giggled. “Yes actually, we do. It’s our job.”

“Good stuff right?”

“Eh, most of it.” She smiled brightly and ruffled my hair, “We’re thinking of heading back to their place for some drinks so we won’t be back till late.”

“Got it, now leave!” I stuck my tongue out and she pretended to pout.

“How did I manage to raise such an ornery daughter?”

“I come by it naturally.”

She shut the door on her way out and I waited till the click of her heels were gone before I groaned into my pillow.

How sad was it that my parents had made friends before I had? Apparently my mom had actually hit it off with one of the corporate wives and they now went out all the time.

They invited me every time they went, but friendless or not, I still felt like there had to be something better to do then encroach upon my parents friends. That was creepy.

Bored, I took out my phone. Amy usually had something interesting to say.

“’Ello, this is Amy and I can’t answer right now, but leave a message and I’ll talk to your later!”

I sighed, “Hey Ams it’s just me again, bored, alone and friendless. Call me back when you get a chance.”

I let myself fall back onto my pillow.

“It’s official, I have reached a copious level of boredom that, if not treated immediately, will lead to my untimely demise.” My voice echoed throughout the empty house throwing my possibly overdramatic prophecy back into my face.

My eyes flitted across my room, landing briefly on my new pen.

I tried writing with it, speaking into it and going over it with a magnifying glass. There was nothing spectacular about this pen save for the entity it came from. A lightly engraved owl stared back at me from the deep mahogany and the smallest squiggly line of the clip. Worm, lightning bolt, sperm, it didn’t matter: I had absolutely no clue what to do with it.