chapter five

February 10, 2007
age 16

//

"Dan! Hurry up!" Phil's voice ran through the air, as he waited impatiently at the bottom of the stairs.

"I look like a marshmallow in this thing! We are sixteen! Why are we doing this?" Dan whined, beginning to make the descent down the stairs.

"Because it's snowing, and I feel the need for a snowball fight." Phil explained. "And age doesn't matter!"

The boys were dressed in their snow suits, which were a couple sizes too small. They both hadn't 'played' in the snow for some years, but Phil had convinced Dan it was time.

They made their way outdoors, the landscape all covered in a thick blanket of snow. It was chilly and still snowing, but it was somehow beautiful. Phil walked ahead, leaving patterned footprints behind him. Dan smirked, a white puff of air escaping his chapped lips.

Phil felt the wet snowball smack the back of his head, and yelped as the icey snow slid down his shirt. "That was cold! Not fair!" Phil groaned, bending to the ground.

"Totally fair!" Dan said through fits of giggles.

Phil got his revenge by hitting Dan's chest with a snowball, his hand flying to his mouth as he laughed.

"It's on!" Dan declared, quickly forming a ball and tossing it into Phil's direction.

Phil surprisingly dodged it, hearing Dan mutter a curse. The battle continued, filled with laughs and winces when the cold snowballs would hit their warm skin.

"Knight Daniel is giving up!" Dan announced, receiving a smile from the rosy cheeked Phil. He sat down in the fluffy white snow, his warm breaths swirling the freezing air.

Phil took a seat next to him, his hands drawing delicate patterns in the blanket of snow.

They sat in silence, listening to the lull of the occasional passing car and eachothers deep breaths. They were both so peaceful, just enjoying eachothers presence.

"This was the most fun I've ever had." Dan interrupted the silence, a smile plastered on his slightly numb face.

A grin immediately pulled on Phil's cold lips, as he tackle hugged Dan.

"Noo!" Dan screeched, the cold snow enveloping him and sneeking down the collar of his coat.

Phil was a mess of laughs, his warm breath forming puffs of white. "You're welcome!"

"I hate you." Dan whined, though he did not get up. Phil had rested his elbows on Dan's chest, a smile still present on his face.

It looked like something you'd find in a corny photo album. The snow lightly falling, the twinkling of the street lights at dusk, and the boys laid perfectly together in the cold snow. Their eyes were both filled with love at they just looked at eachother in the nippy air, though their lips were sewn shut. It's like the mind and the heart worked together, and were overfilled with feelings and thoughts. But they never came out, and were just shut inside.

------

Phil stirred the cups, one filled with hot chocolate and the other with coffee. He dropped a handful of marshmallows in each mug, smiling to himself as the sweet aroma filled the air.

It was now dark outside, the white snow still visible as it fell from the cloudy sky. Dan sat on Phil's bedspread, scrolling the television for something to watch. He heard the clanging of mugs downstairs, and Phil singing to himself.

Dan hated how corny he sounded, but it was a good day. A perfect day. Phil hadn't talked about Angel, which was a relief to Dan. They got to run and play like they use to, as Knights Dan and Phil.

Phil was perfect, a person that would only be fictional. He would be the quirky and lovable nerd, who someone got the pretty girl to like him back.

Dan raised his head when Phil sauntered in, a bag of gummy bears dangling from his teeth and a mug in each hand.

"I got snacks!" Phil struggled to say through the bag hanging from his mouth, handing Dan his sweet cup of hot chocolate.

Dan nodded in thanks as sipped the hot beverage, feeling the warmth run through him.

Phil settled in next to the brunette, pulling a warm blanket over them. He popped some gummy bears into his mouth, smiling happily as he watched Dan humming to himself. They leaned back, snacking on the gummies and sipping at their drinks. "You pick the movie."

Phil soon sank down to rest his head on Dan's shoulder, a yawn escaping his lips.

Dan felt another surge of warmth run through him, his eyes averting to where Phil had his head rested on him.

It made Dan's stomach clench, knowing Phil liked someone else. He'd never do anything about it, because he obviously wanted Phil to be happy. And Phil deserved the best, no matter how much Dan wanted Phil to love him. Because Dan did love him, but love was such a dangerous thing.

Phil barely focused on the movie, as he listened to Dan's rythmic breathing above him. He tensed slightly when he felt Dan's arm when snake loosely around his shoulders, but soon settled into the warmth. Phil would never tell a living soul, but god he loved Dan. It was something that gripped his heart tight and refused to loosen.

It was kind of beautiful in a twisted way, how they both loved eachother but would never tell.

But it was so toxic and heartbreaking, since Phil also had the same feelings for someone else.