Chapter 1: Believe in the Impossible

Do you believe in the impossible? Because if you don't, you are going to. Fast. My name is Rose Parker.

You may know my friend's story.

This is mine.

..............................

14 years ago...

"This doesn't make any sense," I said with a mouth full of Frosted Flakes. "Nothing here does." Carmen, my older sister, snatched the newspaper out of my hands and scanned it. She threw it back down on the table in front me. I felt a small burst of cold air hit me as the paper landed on the wood table. I leaned over to pick it up. Mom and Dad liked to adopt the ones who had almost no chance of being adopted. Carmen had anger issues, and I was "just too difficult."

"I can't believe an 11 year old reads the news," Carmen shook her head as she sat down with her own bowl of cereal. "Much less one about murders. And quit talking with your mouth full. It isn't attractive."

I rolled my eyes as I took another bite, "The thing I don't get is his son. He says he was a witness, but somehow got rushed out of the house. Blocks away! How does a kid get from his house to several blocks within that short of a time frame?"

"Maybe he is lying," Carmen suggested as she took a bite of her cereal. "He could just be trying to protect his dad." I shook my head, lips pursed.

"I don't know, I'd have to see an autopsy report as well as any other reports that they have on the scene. They must have missed something." Carmen gave me one of her famous "please stop talking" looks as she took another bite of her breakfast.

"And with that, we're done. No more talk of murder or autopsy reports. Now, hurry up and finish eating. Otherwise we will be late for school," I groaned. "Yeah, yeah. But do you want to be here when Dad wakes up?" My eyes widened as I began to shovel my breakfast into my mouth. Dad had been up all night grading papers and was always cranky the day after he pulled an all-nighter. It took us about five minutes to finish eating before we all got ready to leave.

As we ran out the house, my mind wandered back to the kid in the paper. With any luck, that Allen kid wouldn't end up in the system like me or Carmen. Whatever happened that night in Central City, it just seemed impossible.

..............................

Present day...

"Can I ask you one last question," I nodded my head at Captain Singh. "What brings you back to Central City? You had a great job back in Keystone and then you took a year off to travel?"

I gave him another affirmative nod, "My big sister is the reason I'm back, sir. I wanted to be closer to her. Plus Central City is home. I can't think of anything better than getting back to come back to the place where we grew up and helping it. And the trip I was on helped me see the world in a new light. It was an eye opener to say the least." Singh nodded as he leaned back into chair, scanning my resume once again. After a pause, the Captain leaned forward and put his elbows on the desk. This long of a pause was making me nervous.

"Well, that's all I needed to hear. You have a great resume and an excellent recommendations, one even from Detective Thawne. From what I can tell, you are a shoe-in for the job. I still have to review the notes from the other applicants, of course. Do you have any questions for me?"

"Just the one," I said. "Why was the position created? I've done some research and it seems having one forensic assistant has suited this place well." Singh sighed as started to stack his papers. His eyes seemed tired the moment I mentioned the forensic assistant.