Chapter 21: that's why i love ya

HUNTER'S POV:

  The next morning,  an hour before my alarm clock goes off, I am lying in bed with Raya lying in my arms. She had cried for a few hours while I held her. Jerron had went to bed, wanting to give me time to console Raya.

    I run my hands through her hair and sigh. She didn't tell us what happened to make her parents split up, but it couldn't have been good if she was crying like that. I know Raya, and she usually never cries.

"What time is it?" She grumbles and I smile at her.

   "5:30, go back to sleep,"

 "Mmmm'kay," with that she rolls over, so that her face is pressed into my neck and falls back asleep. I press a kiss to her forehead and sigh..

  The doctors made Mrs. Lemons stay overnight and Mr. Lemons decided to stay with her because he didn't want her to be alone in the hospital. When Jerron and I got home and I saw Raya on his steps, crying and huddled in the corner, it made me mad and sad at the same time. Mad at whoever had hurt her because she doesn't deserve to cry.

   I never thought I could get attached to a girl so fast, and I never planned on getting attached to a girl EVER, but now that it's happened, I am having a hard time actually following through with the bet. I know that my motorcycle is on the line, but I don't know if I can hurt Raya like that.

  I had no problems with hurting girls before because none of them mattered, and that sounds horrible, but it's hard to find a girl that matters when you are the hottest guy in school and when you can have any girl you want.

  But now I have found a girl that I actually want to be with, and this stupid bet is going to ruin it for me. I know, I know, I can always just give up the bet and give Luke my motorcycle, but I don't know. For some reason I can't get myself to give up. I just... I don't know..

  Before I know it my alarm clock is going off and Raya is groaning and sitting up while rubbing her eyes. She looks over at me and smiles slightly.

   "Hey,"

"Morning, beautiful," I say and she pecks me on the lips. She rolls off the bed and stands up while stretching.

    "Big game today," she says to me and I nod.

"Yea, Coach freaked on me yesterday,"

   "For what?"

"For almost screwing up the play during pre-game," I explain and she shakes her head.

   "What did he do? Threaten to put Conner in for you?" Raya says and snorts in amusement.

   "Actually yeah," I reply and she stares at me in shock.

  "You are the best QB, he has to know that," Raya states.

"Well, apparently Coach thinks that Conner is just as good,"

   "Well, he obviously is on crack. Even when I was dating Conner I knew that he really was not better than you were and I hated you at the time,"

   I grin at her and she blushes like hating me was embarrassing to her.

"What are you going to wear to school?" I ask her and she shrugs.

   "No clue... Can I borrow a pair of basketball shorts?"

"Sure, babe. But what are you going to wear for a shirt?" I ask her.

   "I'll just wear the same shirt," she says like it's no big deal, but I know that people will notice something like that, well the girls in our school anyway. All they do is gossip about each other and then act nice to each others faces.