Chapter 8

Chapter 8

When Kayla finished her day of work experience, she was pretty sure that she had impressed Jade. And Kayla had been thinking that maybe hairdressing was something that she enjoyed and maybe she would have liked to consider it as a job after school.

Kayla wasn't too sure about doing hairdressing for her work experience to begin with, but now that it had been a couple of days, she enjoyed it and what Jade was able to teach her. Kayla still wasn't able to do a number of things herself, but watching was a good way of learning, and Kayla enjoyed it.

Yes, Kayla had wanted to be an Olympic rider when she finished school, but she had to try out for that, and riding competitively until she was able to try out of the Olympics would not have given her enough money to sustain herself. She would have to have a job to keep her going while she worked up to her dream of becoming an Olympic rider, and seeing as she was enjoying her work experience, hairdressing may have been for her in the short term.

"Kayla," said Jade when she arrived at the hairdresser, "it is good to see you here early."

"I'm just trying to impress," replied Kayla.

"Well, you are definitely doing that, which leads me to something I wanted to tell you."

"What is it?"

"A job will be open here for you after your work experience, if you want. It will only be a part time job because I know you have school, but if you want it, it is your's."

"I don't know what to say."

"Just think about it."

"Okay, I will."

Kayla then followed Jade inside and she got to work on all of her normal jobs. Having a job at the hairdresser would have been great because Kayla had been looking for some way to make herself feel independent. Her aunty was good, and she looked after her well now (as did her boyfriend), but Kayla didn't want to have to rely on them for the rest of her life.

So maybe having a job would have been good.

And now that Kayla was old enough for a job, maybe now was a good time to get one. The extra pocket money wouldn't have gone astray, and Kayla would have felt good when she brought something with the money that she had earnt for herself. So, right now, she couldn't see anything wrong with taking up Jade's job offer.

...

When Kayla was done with the jobs that she needed top do, it was time for the salon to open. Jade's mum, Rikki (an apprentice who had recently gotten herself a full-time job) and Ash arrived at work, and then, pretty soon, clients arrived to have their hair done. Kayla found it amazing how many people actually came in during the day to have their hair done and it was interesting to listen to what they spoke about when they were in the chair. Some of them seemed to have crazy lives, and Kayla was always intrigued to hear what they were about.

And the one that was currently happening now with Jade was really entertaining Kayla.

"So, yeah," said the woman as Jade brushed her now washed hair, "this is the third time he has cheated on me this month."

"Really?" replied Jade.

"Yes. And I don't know what to do."

"Well, isn't this a sign?"

"A sign?"

"Yes. It might be a sign for you to get out of this relationship before you are seriously hurt."