Chapter 1.3 (The Sorting of qualities)

Start from the beginning

Her mother was so different that she could hardly believe she was family. There were times when her mother rarely came home when she was doing something with her sister. It was her dad who took care of her during the day because he couldn't get a job with his...problem.

Professor McGonagall placed a four-legged stool in front of them. On top of the stool she put a pointed wizard's hat. The hat was patched and frayed and extremely dirty. A rip near the brim opened wide like a mouth...and the hat began to sing.

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

The whole hall burst into applause as the hat finished his song. It bowed to each of the four tables and then became quite still again.

Professor McGonagall stepped forwards holding a long roll of parchment.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted." She said. "Abott, Hannah!"

The girl they met on the train stumbled out of line, put on the hat, which fell right down over her eyes, and sat down. A moment's pause...

"HUFFLEPUFF!" Shouted the hat.

The table on the right cheered and clapped as Hannah went to sit down at the yellow and black table.

"Bones, Susan!"

"HUFFLEPUFF!" shouted the hat again, and Susan scuttled off to sit next to Hannah.

"Boot, Terry!"
"RAVENCLAW!"

The table second from the left clapped this time. It's table was blue with bronze linings. Several Ravenclaws stood up to shake hands with Terry as he joined them.

"Bouchard, Elizabeth!" A very pretty girl flinched at her name, before stepping forward. At first Artemis thought it was because of the nerves but the girl strut to the hat without any fear.

Elizabeth truly was stunning. She had a flawless pale skin which looked even paler because of her straight black hair that framed her ivory face. She had pouty red lips and rosy cheeks. But it were her eyes that held the entire room captive. They were a dark sort of mix between dark-blue, brown and black. Every fleck in her eyes had another colour and Artemis imagined you could look into them for years and still discover a new one. "GRYFFINDOR!" The red and gold table on the far left exploded with cheers. Artemis noticed two redhaired twins catcalling which caused Elizabeth to roll her eyes.