Droid Dispute: BB-8 & R2-D2's Controversy

C-3PO plodded through the sandy terrain of Jakku. Despite the blowing sand that made traveling difficult, the main reason for the protocol droid's cumbersome pace was the fact that he was hopelessly lost. This, along with his astromech droid's constant beeps of protest, drove C-3PO into despair over their situation.

"This is hopeless. Why I ever let you lead me here, I will never know." C-3PO complained to his companion.

The astromech droid at his side expressed his opinion in a series of bleeps.

C-3PO was taken back by his response. "My fault? Well, I never!"

The astromech's response was so fervent that the little droid shook as he spoke.

"Why, you pointless piece of metal! May I remind you, Artoo, that this was your idea to travel through this forsaken land! Shortcut, indeed!" Although C-3PO's voice was harsh, his nickname for R2-D2 showed his long-lasting affection for his small white-and-blue counterpart.

R2-D2 ignored this last remark, and rolled on at a steady pace, leaving the grumbling protocol droid behind.

"Artoo!" C-3PO shrieked. "Where do you think you're going? First you lead us into this deserted wasteland, then you start to leave me behind! If I didn't know any better, I would think...."

C-3PO continued talking, but R2-D2 wasn't listening. The astromech was staring at a slowly approaching shape in the distance.

"...Of all the droids I have encountered, you rank at the top of useless, unhelpful-" C-3PO cut himself off mid-sentence, and gasped. "Artoo! A life form!" His golden figure sparkled in the sunlight as he hurried towards the moving object he spotted, leaving the protesting Artoo behind.

R2-D2 hurried to catch up with C-3PO, beeping his concern to the excited protocol droid.

"Excuse me? Dangerous?" C-3PO scoffed at the worried astromech. "Wondering around in a desert- hopelessly lost- is dangerous. Calling for help from a fellow life form is not dangerous."

The shape drew closer and closer, until it was within plain sight of them.

"Another droid! It's another astromech! Well, we can only hope he's of more use than you." C-3PO thumped Artoo's head as he spoke, and Artoo let out a beep of protest.

The droid had spotted them, and slowed his pace; rolling cautiously forward to see if it was safe to approach them. Deciding they were friends, he let out a small bleep and rolled forward. His round, white-and-orange body allowed for quick movement, and in just a moment, he was in front of them; looking up at the towering droids above him.

"Hello! I am C-3PO, and this is my counterpart, R2-D2."

The little droid let out a series of fast beeps.

"Pleasure to meet you, BB-8! We seem to have lost our way. R2-D2 led us out here, and now we are dreadfully lost."

BB-8 replied with several shrill beeps and started to slowly roll away, indicating for them to follow.

"We are indebted to you! If only my astromech was as well-mannered and helpful as you." C-3PO looked down at Artoo with displeasure, before following BB-8.

C-3PO and BB-8 continued to converse as they traveled across the desert land, but R2-D2 remained unusually quiet. The desert of Jakku stretched for miles around them, with nothing in sight except the dry sand that made traveling difficult. After several long minutes of wandering across the desert, with nothing in sight, R2-D2 rolled forward to catch up to BB-8. He let out a series of loud beeps, and C-3PO gasped.

"Why, Artoo! How dare you question him in that tone! Of course he knows where he's going. Don't accuse him of such things! BB-8, I apologize for this droid's unacceptable behaviour."

But BB-8 wasn't listening. He let out equally loud and fiery beeps, which R2-D2 returned with even louder beeps. C-3PO stood still, listening to the argument in silent horror, until BB-8 advanced threateningly towards Artoo. Artoo extended his claw arm and poked BB-8, pushing him back several inches. BB-8 bleeped furiously and returned to his normal position.

"R2-D2!" C-3PO cried in shock. "Please, stop this! He's getting angry! BB-8, I apol-" But before he could finish, R2-D2 rushed forward, knocking into the smaller droid, and sending him bouncing through the sand.

The small droid rolled several feet from them. His head remained upright but spun around as he tried to steady himself. Regaining his stance quickly, he bleeped angrily and went into escape mode. C-3PO gasped as BB-8 flew at Artoo, banging into him, but the little droid just barely pushed Artoo back. Artoo rushed forward again, but BB-8 retreated.

C-3PO finally stepped in. "That's enough!" He cried, and stood between the indignant astromechs. BB-8 beeped in protest, and Artoo attempted to go around, but C-3PO stayed firm.

"I've had enough out of you two!" He stated loudly, trying to be heard over the sound of the angry droids. "Artoo, stop this nonsense!"

Finally, after loud protests from C-3PO, the astromechs quieted down.

"That's better." C-3PO turned to R2-D2. "I think you're just jealous of our new friend. BB-8, I am-" C-3PO cut himself off. "Where did he go?"

He turned, and watched as a small white and orange streak sped away from them.

"BB-8!" He cried out, but the astromech didn't stop. He turned back to Artoo. "Now see what you've done!"

R2-D2 replied with a series of short beeps, and C-3PO scoffed.

"What do you mean, it wasn't your fault? Of course it was! Everything is your fault. You drove away the only thing that could have possibly helped us."

Artoo responded.

"Don't be so smug." C-3PO replied shortly. "Come along, we need to follow his tracks so we know which way to go." He started following them, but even now, the droid's tracks in the dry sand were being blown over. Artoo rolled along beside him, obviously proud that he had driven away his rival. Together, C-3PO and R2-D2 set off in the direction the astromech had disappeared, hoping they would reach civilization soon.