Chapter Twenty-Three - Hurt Me

Mulai dari awal

Dash finally sighed. "I guess the guy-lover had a point. But that still doesn't mean I'm fine with this thing between you and Aide!" He bickered and shot her a look.

"You haven't told anyone, have you?" She nervously asked.

Dashel looked at the ground and fiddled with his daggers a little. "No, I haven't. I didn't want to believe it. I can't even believe that he would even allow it!" He snapped and looked up. "I mean after everything he's sprouted about being all private and mysterious, you would think that he'd have a little more self control when it comes to—"

"He's been more than self-controlled," Emaia interrupted. She didn't want to go into the whole story, so she just kept it simple. "Aide is... complicated. I'm trying to convince him it doesn't have to be, but he keeps telling me I shouldn't want him."

"He's right," Dashel agreed.

Emaia pursed her lips irritatedly. "I was trying to convince him last night when he was drunk."

"Would it have worked if I hadn't stopped it?" Dashel asked warily.

Emaia sighed slowly. She had a feeling it might have, but it wouldn't have been right. It wasn't how it was supposed to happen. "I don't know. But that's why I have to go talk to him. I just wanted to make sure you didn't... hate me."

"Hate you?" Dashel exclaimed shocked. He dropped the knives to the ground and came up to her. "Emaia, I could never hate you. You're like... a little-sister to me. I don't want anything bad to happen to you. I was mad at him, because I thought he was trying to take advantage of—"

Emaia threw her arms around him and hugged him tightly. Dashel wheezed surprised, but then hesitantly hugged her back.

She couldn't believe it. He felt the same way. He was like a brother to her too, and the fact that he felt like she was family too, was... well, it felt more like home than Rochess ever did.

"Thank you, Dashel," Emaia murmured and slowly pulled away.

"Uhh... For what?" He asked confused.

"For everything. If it wasn't for you, I never would've joined the rebellion," She said and smiled gratefully. "You were the one who invited me, who believed in me first. You're the reason why I'm here, fighting and stronger than ever. I owe you everything."

Dashel blushed into a deep red color, and right then she knew she had her friend back. He awkwardly started scratching his neck, while looking everywhere but her. "Uh, right. Don't mention it."

Emaia gave him one last big hug, before she released him and walked away. She woke up that morning so nervous about how today would go. The knot in her stomach was gone and she was positive nothing could spoil her mood.

Except she had to go find Aide. She hadn't seen him today yet, and couldn't spot his characteristic silver hair anywhere. Where could he be?

When she couldn't find him, she realized she would just have to wait, and for once, she didn't mind. Her mood was so high, the sun was out and it was a blue sky day. The trees outside the villages were glinting with snow, and that made her want to go out there. She had only seen snow one other time in her life, and it was only from a window, through a moving carriage. Her father had taken her to Tryon City for bear hunting season, but they had left before they even got started, since it started to snow. She remembered it as being the most beautiful thing ever.

So of course, she wanted to explore the place were Aide lived for a couple of years. She wanted to see the frosty ground and fir trees, coated in fluffy snow, where she imagined he had played as younger. She wanted to see everything.