Unfamiliars

The soles of my shoes padded across the concrete. My hands were dug deep in to the pockets of my jacket as I walked to school. It was raining slightly and there was an addictive burning sensation in my mouth. Part of me wanted to ignore it, the other wanted to dive in to the river beneath the bridge I was walking on and swim in to the blissful waters. The very thought was discord. I stopped right at the railing of the bridge and gripped on looking longingly at the water. How bad I wanted to get in. Still looking at the deep plunge in to the surface, imagining myself dive head first, I bit my lip struggling to escape my world of school, grades, and family stress, I wanted to swim and never come back occasionally. Of course, I only changed my mind later thinking of how much I loved and cared for Day and Sloan, my only family left.

Then again, it wouldn't hurt to skip one day of school. Unbuttoning a couple buttons on my shirt, I was prepared to disrobe and leave them in my bag. I turned around, by the time I was button a little below my neckline to face a tall, broad shouldered boy leaning against me. My heart dropped out of the scare, and I looked at his face only to see a grinning smirk. "I'd like more of the show then I'm getting right now, miss", his gray eyes traveling below my neckline of my partially opened shirt. "Perv!", I spat at his face. I moved to button up my shirt, but realized I couldn't move my arms. He had trapped me, by placing both arms on each side of me, gripping the railing with light touch. "What are you doing?', I questioned irritably, trying to push his arms aside.

My attempt failed even though his arms seemed so relaxed. I was frustrated at this point. "Seducing a siren, what else?", He said grinning, while he came in closer and closer, his body pressed against mine. My breathing was heavy and wasn't succeeding in getting out. "How do you know that?", I replied, almost as if asking my self the question. I instantly scolded myself mentally for not denying it. "Too luring to be human", he said casually. "No soul with a siren so why fight the offer", he continued, leaning in more, his forehead touching mine. I could hear his slow steady heartbeat compared to mine, that was wildly fast in comparison. I was so tempted to dive backward and slip out, but I wanted to know more. Sloan wouldn't tell us anything more until she decided we were ready to handle the situation. So I played along. My hands slid to his lower back, clasping around him. I felt him heat up at my touch, and used it to my advantage. "We have no soul, tell me more about us", I whispered in to his ear so close my warm breath was on his neck. I felt him relax at that, and knew I was quickly charming my way out of more information. Planting a kiss on the sensitive pressure point below his ear, I had raked in for the kill and he was completely underneath my control. "I know you beautiful, manipulative creatures can charm any man out of his wits, you have no soul, but can gain one by making a human man fall in love with you." "Then I must be reaping one now." I grinned at him. "You would be if I were human." He smiled and my grin fell off my face in a mere second. His silvery gray cloudy eye's pupils slit and demonic pointed teeth dropped from his mouth like fangs. My blue eyes grew large with fear. He laughed and grazed my neck with a pointed canine producing a long, thin, red scratch. It cut the delicate chain of my locket, and before I knew it, it had slipped off my neck and on to the floor.

Emotion empowered me and soon rage came tumbling out of my body. My own fangs had come out, while my eyes sharpened in to cold icy crystals, colors moving like a violent storm. I went to bite his neck inside out, but he caught me by the lips and instead kissed me. The teeth had retracted in and I calmed at the confusion of the event. My eyes opened and no one had been there.

I touched my neck and felt the place where I had been wounded. I was unblemished and flawless. Moving my hand lower I realized the necklace had been missing, but my buttons had been perfectly intact. "What just happened?", I murmured to myself picking up my bag, and walking to school. I had been hallucinating I thought to myself remembering the pills for my headache I had taken. The warning included hallucinations, remembering that orange juice overdosed the medicine and created side effects. My heart beat calmed down and I continued walking to school.

My car had broken down this morning. The wires had shifted a bit, so I just parked it and decided to walk.

My hand push on the smooth, sun-heated glass of the entrance doors. Minding my own thoughts I made my way to my locker. Opening it up, I began to exchange books in and out of my locker.

Pulling a calculus and English literature book, I placed it in my canvas bag. A couple of dark curls fell in front of my face as I bent my head down to fix the strap of my bag that kept slipping of my shoulder. As my hand wavered to push them aside, a warm hand tucked them behind my ear. Zach.

I looked up and smiled. Leaning up on my tippy toes, I kissed him on the cheek. "Is something wrong?", said Zach, as soon he saw my face. "Uh, no. I'm fine, I just remembered I forgot my homework." I replied immediately. There were too many thoughts clouding my mind to even enjoy his kiss. "I'm going to be late for class, see you later", I breathed as I walked toward Day, who had just walked through the school doors.

I painted a smile over my face and hugged my books tighter than usual. I spoke my words through my smile. "You're late", I commented as I broke out in a stride walking along her side. "I'm tripped on a stick the way here", she replied while smiling as well. "So?", I questioned back.

"I didn't feel like getting up", she said her smiling getting wider as if were already impossible. "Oh, joy", I muttered realizing the scene that was occurring around us. People were staring as if they've never seen us before. Then I remembered what Sloan had told us. Siren stares to humans and most other varieties of supernatural creatures are thrown in to a trance.

Blink, I told my self. I immediately snapped my hand in front of Day. "What the hell!". she yelped at the unexpected swat of her face. "We can't stare mindlessly anymore, it catches too many people now that our eyes have changed", I reminded her. "I know, I'll remember", she replied annoyed of all these set backs and cautions.

I sighed. It wasn't exactly happy news to myself either. I wanted to do what I wanted when I wanted with out worrying about the fear of getting caught or exposed as the sirens we were.

"What do you mean I have to drop of the swim team?!", I exclaimed slamming both of my hand on the table. My hands created a dent on the wooden surface. "Calm down you're not aware of what you're capable of!", shouted Sloan. "Well obviously!!", screamed Day as she ran in the room. "Close the damn door if we're having this discussion!!!", Sloan shot back. We were all tense and arguing in the living room. Day slammed the door angrily and it shut with a thud. Not before falling of the hinges though. Her angry face changed in a second to shocked. "Oh, damn", she said looking down at the door. "That's what I mean! You two aren't understanding how much effect you can have on things! Nothing of this is familiar to you!!! That why I can't tell you so much at once!", Sloan yelled, immediately standing up.

"Okay, we understand, Sloan", replied Day in a understanding tone, "We know we need to take it slow." Sloan's temper quickly calmed down. "I'm glad you understand." She pulled us both into a hug. "Its just, we have to deal with all of this growing up, and I kind of feel like I'm loosing my little sisters in this whole mess", she said while stroking my hair with one hand and rubbing Day's shoulder with the other. We were thrown in to such a tight situation.