Chapter 8: Money matters

April:

I opened the white envelope and pulled out the notes and coins that were placed inside the envelope and started counting them. “10, 20, 30, 40...” I mumbled to myself as I counted the notes.

Two days ago, we had a meeting in the meeting room and the first half of the meeting was about Mr Parkson was rambling on and on about how the school is low on funds, as usual and that we were supposed to get the students in our class to donate some money to the school, the other half of the meeting...well, let’s just say I fell asleep and couldn’t remember what the other half of the meeting was about.

“80, 90, 95, 100, 110.” I placed the money back in the white envelope and sealed it close. Taking a marker from my desk, I wrote $110 on the white envelope and handed it to Miss Myers whom is the person in charge to collect the total amount of money before passing it to Mr Parkson.

Miss Myers smiled as she took the envelope and placed it on her desk. “I’m surprised that you didn’t pass the envelope to Mrs Thompson.” She commented cheekily, “Since you were sleeping during the meeting.”

Mrs Thompson had always been the person who is in charge of the financial matters, however this year, Mr Parkson decided to let Miss Myers collect the funds since Mrs Thompson is getting a little senile.

“I don’t think I want a thirty minute lecture from her,” I replied, shuddering at the thought of old, grumpy Mrs Thompson lecturing me about not being attentive during meetings.

Miss Myers opened her drawer and took out a white envelope that had $105 scribbled on it. She slotted both our envelopes in between an English book. “Just so I won’t forget to pass them to Mr Parkson,” she murmured to herself.

I exited the Teacher’s Lounge and walked towards the hallway. A few students greeted me as I walked past, others simply ignored my existence and continued with their own small chat.

"Miss Paige!" Violet called as she began to run towards my direction. "I....uh....there's a girl crying in the toilet! She threatened to kill herself! My friends and I tried to bang the door open but it wouldn't open!" She said in a breathless voice, "Hurry!"

Violet led me to the female restroom on the fifth floor. Very few girls visited the

restroom on the fifth floor after some rumour was spread about it being haunted.

A blonde haired girl stood in front of the closed cubicle, trying to reason with her friend.  "Please don't do anything stupid!"

"Leave me alone! Leave! Now!" The girl in the cubicle shouted back.

As the blonde haired girl saw me approaching, she moved back and made way for me.

"Please open up. We can talk about your problems outside." I tried to reason with her, "There's no point hurting yourself. It won't solve anything. Open the door."