Chapter 6: Trouble troublemaker

Chapter 6:

Damien:

I stared at the school building in front of me and groaned. There’s still time to retreat and walk away, but I decided to keep my promise and dragged myself into the school. The only reason why I’m here is because I promised Miss Paige to turn up for school.

The morning sun spilled it’s warm, golden light over the dew-soaked grasses. It was still early and not many students were there yet. God knows why I came so early when I could have used the extra time to sleep but I guess that’s the least I could do to prevent myself from getting suspended or expelled.

I strolled into the school compounds and retrieved some of my books from the locker. I heard faint voices coming from near the Teacher’s Lounge. I ignored it and placed the books inside my backpack. I was about to walk off to classroom 4A when I heard my name being mention.

“I think Damien Morrison should be expelled!” A voice exclaimed. It was high, shrill and ear-piercing.

I frowned and quietly walked to the direction where the voices were coming from. I stopped behind a wall and carefully poked my head out. Outside the Teacher’s Lounge stood Mr Parkson, Miss Paige and an older teacher whom I’ve never seen before.

“Mr Parkson, I think he should be expelled.” The old, cranky teacher repeated herself.

What the hell. I don’t even know this teacher and she’s saying that I should be expelled? I bet she doesn’t even know how I look like! I would gladly punch her in the face if I wasn’t at the risk of getting expelled.

You know what? Forget it, I’ll leave now. I’m going to get expelled anyway, at most I’ll get sent back home and mum would find a home tutor for me. No big deal. I was about to turn and walk away when heard something that made me stop.

“Mrs Thompson, you don’t even know him, how could you just simply say that Damien should be expelled? He has financial difficulties which is why he hasn’t been turning up for school lately. I, as his homeroom teacher should be the one who suggests whether he should be expelled or not and I say we let him stay.” Miss Paige said with a hint of determination in her voice.

“Miss Paige, are you defending him?” Mrs Thompson questioned, suspiciously.

“Mrs Thompson, are you maligning my student?” Miss Paige challenged.

Score one for homeroom teacher! I cheered silently. I decided to stay on and listen. I know eavesdropping is rude but I can’t help it if my name is mentioned.

“Ladies, ladies,” Mr Parkson began, trying to stop the tension between the two teachers that was about to escalate. “I think we’ll address this issue later in my office.” He suggested.

Students were starting to stroll into the hallways. The once quiet hallway was now teeming with noisy students. I pushed my way to the classroom, ignoring the flirtatious winks given by the girls.

Yes, I did play around and had a couple of girlfriends in the past but those relationships meant nothing. It wasn’t serious and I got tired after awhile. I never knew what I wanted - what type of girl I wanted to have a serious relationship with and until now, I’m still trying to figure out.

I walked up the stairs, still recalling what I had eavesdropped earlier on. A stray thought wandered into my mind – Why? Why did she help me? Shouldn’t she want me to be expelled? I still couldn’t believe it, the teacher whom I ignored, disrespected and disgraced in front of the whole class defended me. Why?

Yes, I helped her when Brian wanted to hit her, but hasn’t she already repaid that ‘debt’ by passing me a fifty dollar note and trying to bribe me to attend school? In the first place, why bribe me to attend school? Not only that, she gave me her phone number yesterday and told me that if I needed any help, she would be a phone call away. It’s not like I’ll ever call her anyway, but shouldn’t she be happier without anyone to make her job even more difficult than it already is?