Chapter 6 - Stolen Kiss

Start from the beginning

After one last pull, I tossed to cigarette to the side as the car approached. It didn't take very long for me to get home, within fifteen minutes I was standing outside our apartment complex. The cool fall air wisped against my skin as I stepped out of the Toyota that had just dropped me home for twenty-five bucks.

Ben's sports car was parked in the driveway, where he usually parked. It was odd seeing it there, considering he'd told Ashley he was heading to Chicago for a business trip this weekend. The keys jingled as I opened the door, pushing my way through slightly.

A musty smell smacked me in the face as soon as I'd stepped inside. It smelled like sweat, and a whole lot of nasty. Ben was sitting at the counter with a woman sitting opposite him. Her hair was blonde, with long, pink stripes. She wore a club dress as if she was getting ready to do her walk of shame.

Although she was sitting, I'd observed her long, creamy legs; but somehow...she wasn't attractive to me, at least, not as beautiful as Ashley was. Ben looked genuinely startled to see me, as though this wasn't where I lived too.

As a person who frequently had random hook-ups, I knew exactly what had happened here last night. I didn't even need him to confirm it. He lied to Ashley about going on a business trip, probably went out on his own and picked up a stray. I felt a heat pulsing through my body as I assessed the situation. This was a new level of disrespect and I couldn't believe he had the audacity to bring her to his home, in his bed where he slept with Ashley.

One of the rules we both had was that neither of us were allowed to interfere in each other's personal lives. It pained me that he was cheating on Ashley, but if I wanted to continue living here, there was nothing I could do.

In reality, I never interfered—I'd never felt such a strong urge to before. As I walked past them, I gave Ben a dirty eye before heading down to my room without a word.

I showered quickly, washing the remnants of the Halloween party away, along with Ashley's scent. Somehow ever since we were introduced, she'd managed to consume my mind almost entirely. I found myself thinking about her, during class, even at work sometimes.

Just a few hours ago she was in my arms, crying because of the jumbled mess of a relationship she was in and here he was fucking around. My hands throbbed as I towelled my hair, the urge to punch my brother in the face growing with each passing moment. Benjamin and I had never really had a hard time living together, or even getting along.

He was the only remaining family I had, besides a few estranged relatives that we only saw around Christmas time. I placed a single braid in my hair before diving into the king-sized bed. The fluffy covers greeted me with open arms, and I sighed contentedly. Somehow this entire situation made me yearn to speak to someone I haven't spoken to in years.

I grabbed my phone, tapping the facebook app. I searched my friends list until I finally saw the name I was looking for, 'Melissa Matthew'. I could feel a bead of sweat forming above my brow as I tapped the message icon, what could I possibly say?

That I was in a situation and I needed someone to talk to? How about can I have my friend back?

Instead, I typed "hey."

Ashley

I hadn't heard from Robin in two weeks. Whenever I went over, she made herself scarce. I would ask Ben about her, without seeming too interested, but she was always out or had company in the basement.

For some reason it agitated me to know that she was avoiding me, but this was the first time I actually admitted it. Alex came over the day after Halloween to ask for some help with proposing to Jessica. It brought tears to my eyes hearing that she was finally ready to pop the question.