Chapter 5 - HallowQueen

Ashley

Halloween.

It was that time of the year again, children screaming, parents panting, you know—the usual stuff. I ran a hand through my curls and scanned the designs repeatedly. This was also a really big week for us here at Amalie. That's what Ellie called her company. For the first few months that I'd been here I never knew why, until I learned that Amalie was what her grandfather used to call her.

Now, the way I found out...you could say it was a little intrusive. I didn't know a thing about this woman, when she hired me I was intrigued at how robotic she was. Wikipedia did absolutely nothing to increase my knowledge so I had to do a little digging myself.

I'd found out that she had an older brother from the tabloids, some divorce scandal that made front page. I'd managed to contact his office, and set up a meeting with him. I told him I was doing a page on eligible bachelors and wanted to know more about him.

He spilled everything to me, about his parents, grandparents, even his wife. Of course I didn't actually write a page on it, I was just snooping around. That's how I got to learn a bit about the mysterious Ellie Amalie May. Somehow after learning a bit about her background, it made it easier for me to meet her demands.

After everything I'd been through, just to find out my boss's middle name, it annoyed the living fuck out of me that she and Robin were suddenly this close. After meeting a few weeks ago when I asked Robin to drop off my cell phone, it was as if the two were inseparable.

Fine, I'd said. They talk, that's okay. But then, I hear Robin calling her "Amalie" and I almost had an aneurism.

I was sitting at my desk, silently cursing the glass walls that separated mine and Ellie's offices, instead of the regular hard-wood. Robin was sitting in Ellie's chair, my boss leaned on her desk, her cheeks bright pink from whatever the hell Robin had just said.

I instinctively rolled my eyes, trying to focus on the portfolio on my desk. Somehow, I couldn't help but wonder about the nature of their relationship. I've never seen Ellie date anyone, I'm not sure if she was that good at being out of the public eye or if she just didn't have a life. But in the months I'd been here, she'd never had a friend come to the office—I barely saw a laugh out of her.

So what was it about Robin that had her so caught up? Were they dating? Did they have sex?

I wanted to strangle myself at my thoughts, Ellie is a grown woman, and I felt as though I was being very intrusive. I couldn't help it though, it was my office too.

"Ashley!" Ellie called, her hair swaying as she walked around her desk.

Robin stood as I approached them, allowing Ellie to actually sit at her desk. I stood awkwardly, waiting for Ellie to tell me why the fuck she brought me over here. Robin whispered something in her ear, and I saw my boss grin. I'd never been so terrified at someone's smile before.

"Did you want something?" I snapped.

The she-bitch stared at me with a brow raised, "Yes, I need you to check with the planner. Make sure everything is on schedule for the annual Halloween ball. I also want you to make sure the caterers don't eff up our order this year."

I nodded, "Okay, I'll get right on it."

"And also," she said, just as I turned away. "I need that portfolio from Sonja immediately. Robin will be doing the fall clothing shoot tomorrow."

A strange sound escaped my mouth, something between "What the fuck?" and "Huh?"

Robin was going to model Sonja's designs? I mean, Robin was beautiful—gorgeous even. I'm sure she could pull it off but there were several other qualified, experienced models who wanted this position.