11 |

Chord landed face forward on his bed, letting out a muffled groan as he sank into the soft sheets.

"Tough day?" He opened an eye to stare at his aunt leaning against his doorway, a smile of amusement mocking him.

"What gave it away?"

"Call it an aunt's intuition," she replied. "You got back pretty late. What were you doing?"

"I got kidnapped by a ginger."

"Ah, so Scarlett. Makes perfect sense." Walking in, she sat on the edge of the bed. "You know, you never stayed out late before you two met. I almost didn't recognize you when you came in the door a few minutes ago." She held a hand to her face in shock. "Are you really my nephew?"

Chord rolled his eyes. "You know, you are the only guardian in this country that would nitpick about your child actually behaving and refraining from getting into the normal teenage trouble."

She laughed, ruffling his hair. "Did you have fun?"

Chord sighed, eyes drifting to the side before he let his face fall back into the mattress.

"Is that a yes or no?"

"It was . . .fun. Yeah."

"You don't sound sure."

Rolling over on his back, Chord ran his hand down his face. "No, no I'm sure," he said, "I'm just tired is all." He felt his aunt's stare grow intense and he felt antsy.

"Did something happen while you were with Scarlett?"

"No, why?"

"Because you were hanging out with her and you don't seem as happy as you normally are. Did she say something to you?" She narrowed her eyes.

Chord smiled. "No, ma'am. I just—" He wasn't sure if he was just overreacting or if there was actually something wrong. Was he simply overreacting earlier? "How did you know Uncle Sam liked you?"

"He was pretty obvious with how he felt," she answered, smiling nostalgically. "Though he was actually horrible at wooing me."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I had to make the first move. If that idiot was left in charge, I'd still be single and Cinder wouldn't be here. You're like him in that regard. So, yes, you do have a crush on Scarlett."

Chord arched an eyebrow. "I take offense to that very accurate statement. But that's not I was asking."

She tilted her head, hooking one leg over the other. "Oh? Then why?"

"I'm not sure if Scarlett reciprocates my feelings. I mean, she does stuff that are innocuous and friendly. She's a friendly person by nature."

She hummed in agreement, smiling like a Cheshire cat as he talked about her so enthusiastically. He chose to ignore it this time.

"Then she does stuff that gives me the idea she likes me back. Do girls normally give you whiplash or is this just a Scarlett thing?" If it is, it would be my luck.

"Have you asked her if she likes you?"

Chord gave his aunt a look of horror. "Do you want me to die of embarrassment? What if she says no?!"