09 |

Is it possible to die from the anticipation? Because Chord felt like he was about to. He had been sitting at one of the small two-person tables inside the movie theater for the past fifteen minutes, waiting on Scarlett to arrive.

She was going to come. After all, she didn't seem like the type to set someone up and not even show, right? Right. Scarlett wouldn't do that.

Just calm down, Chord. She hasn't given you any reason to doubt her. She'll be here. You were a good ten minutes early to the agreed meetup anyway, dumbass.

Chord checked the conversation with Scarlett for the twelfth time, his body itching with nervousness and tension. The time was the same, 6:30, and it was not long until the movie started. Maybe she was running late?

His phone buzzed as a text from Scarlett came in.

Look up. 😄

As he did, a pair of hands covered his eyes. "Guess who?" A not very well disguised voice laughed behind him. A moment later, the hands were gone and he looked up to see Scarlett giving him a cheeky grin. "Sorry for being late. I had to drop off everyone but Diego at a sleepover. . at three different places. It's like they knew I had something to do and planned accordingly." She groaned.

She leaned in closer to him, whispering, "I snuck snacks in so we're good on comfort foods. I don't ever support overpriced popcorn and snacks. Also, not sure how you are with jump scares, but I'll need them to get through the movie."

Chord found himself smiling, though why he wasn't sure. Maybe it was because a part of him still feared she was like all the others. Or worse, one of those who initially believed he was worth getting to know, only to later be disillusioned by the reality that Chord didn't fit into their expectations. Maybe not.

But he did know he was happy. Happy at being here, at this moment, with a person who seemed to care enough. Someone not related to him like Cinder and his aunt, but someone who could easily choose to leave.

Chord was happy.

Scarlett somehow brought that out in him every time she was near. Sure, there was the feeling of having an army of butterflies hitting him from all sides in his stomach right now, but being in her presence always made him happy. It felt like he could breathe for the first time in years.

"Why would you willingly see a scary movie if you scare easily?" he asked.

She turned on her heels and started walking off to find the right theater room. She shrugged a shoulder. "I'm a glutton for punishment, I suppose? They're a bit of a guilty pleasure for me," she answered as they walked aside by side. "Do you scare easy?"

"It's a bit of a mixed bag," he answered, clearing his throat. There was one movie that freaked him out, but most other movies were fine.

"I like the outfit." She really looked pretty. Not surprised about that.

She was wearing a cream-colored knit sweater with a large embroidered owl on the front paired with a pair of brown pants, and light brown boots. Her hair was tamed compared to usual, though it still was curled like crazy.

Her face crinkled as she smiled. "I know right? I love owls. Owls are awesome as am I so it was meant to be."

Calm down, heart. Chord still was unsure what this was called. Was it a date? Or was it just two friends hanging out. Though if it was a date, Chord sure as hell wouldn't know what to do. Scarlett probably knew more than he did. Never mind the fact it had taken forever to find an outfit that could pass for either way — even with his aunt's help.

I can do this. Hopefully. Maybe.

"What movie is this anyway? You said it was a horror, but you didn't say the name."