I’m so startle by the accusation, I stop thinking. Like, I shutdown or something.

Am I really hurting her? I’m just—

“Draky,” Pie says, interrupting my thoughts.

“What?” I ask slowly, coming back to my senses.

“See you later in the cafeteria,” she tells me.

“Would you mind if I walk you to your first class?” I ask her. And then I pause. Where did that came from? Me, walking Pie to her first class?

She’s clearly taken aback my suggestion. It’s painted on her face.

I expect her to ask why, but she doesn’t. Anyway, when did she do something I expect of her?

I can see that she’s contemplating her answer. Suddenly, I want to vanish in this instant. I feel humiliated and unwanted for no apparent reason.

I’m about to open my mouth and say I’m just kidding when she says, “I’d love to.”

“Really?” I ask dubiously.

“Yes,” she says, nodding her head.

The corner of my mouth twitches upward. I turn my head away so she won’t see my smile. She might know how much her answer matter to me.

“Let’s go,” I say, before the bell rings. I don’t want us to be late.

“How was your sleep?” she asks after a few seconds of silence.

We are walking side by side, not close enough to touch, but not faraway to feel like strangers.

I notice that something in her voice is different. Is she going to bring up the kiss last night?

“Good,” I say. “What about you?”

She smiles, but it's more like a smirk. “Fine, thank you,” she says pleasantly.

There’s something weird about her, but I can’t quite get what it is.

“What happened to your hair?” Pie asks suddenly.

“I dyed it,” I say, not too obviously.

She rolls her eyes. “What I meant was why you dyed it?” she asks dryly.

I shrug, because it’s no big deal. “I just feel like it,” I say, “I want to make it like it was before but I don’t know how. So here it is.” My hair is a combination of black, and brown which really look good on me.

One moment I’m walking her to her first class, and then the next I’m telling her goodbye because we’re already in front of her room. I make my way to my class in a daze.

First, second, and third period passed in a blur. I didn’t learn a thing. Like, seriously. Besides, Pie will tutor me. The only thing I remember is going in and out of my classrooms, moving with my classmates to the next room.

I can’t wait to eat. I can’t wait to go to the cafeteria and choose what food I will eat for today. I want to fast forward everything and stop when I’m sitting on the chair across from her.

Before I know it, the bell signaling its lunch time rings. I don’t know why but my feet walk quickly to the cafeteria. I even have a feeling that I’m not the one making them move.

And then I see her, all alone in their usual table. Before I go there, I order my food first because Pie already has a tray on the table. I wonder what she got. I buy double cheeseburger, fries, and a coke.

On my way to the table, Brian blocks my path.

“Drake,” he says.

“Hey,” I say, bumping his extended fist. “I won’t join you for lunch today.”