Chapter 6

“So I see you’ve met my dad, Sam,” said Nate, putting his arm around Jessica’s shoulder.

“Yup,” she said, gulping loudly.

She looked around nervously and caught Jake’s eye. His face had an emotion across it that she couldn’t read. Damn did he hear us? She thought.

“Well where’s your mom?” asked Sam.

“Right here!” said a cheerful voice.

Betty was carrying the cooler full of food in one hand and the cooler full of alcohol in the other. She made it look like they weighed absolutely nothing. Jessica pulled herself away from Nate and grabbed one of the coolers.

“Thank you sweetie they were a bit heavy.”

She nodded her head in agreement as both of them went downstairs to where the refrigerator was.

“Ugh, tell dad to stop going so fast,” moaned Natalie.

“Were not even moving yet. Someone drank too much last night, didn’t they?” laughed Betty.

“Leave me alone mom!” squealed Natalie as a finger jabbed her in her side.

“Oh come on don’t be such a wimp!” shouted Betty.

“Just give me like another fifteen minutes Mom and I’ll be up. And stop yelling.”

Jessica was putting all the items in the fridge while listening to the mother daughter interaction. She was starting to miss her Mom but not enough to let them know about her secret yet. She did however have a feeling that going to a University would really help her become her own person.

There wasn’t anyone here to baby you or protect you. Sure, she did have her sorority and new friends but that was completely different from her pack at home. It was their job to keep anyone with Alpha blood safe whereas here they did it just because you were their friend.

“Thank you for the help Jessica, I’ll be upstairs when you girls are ready to come out,” said Betty.

Jessica nodded. “Okay.”

She moved to go sit in the chair but quickly stopped when she saw her reflection in the mirror. It looked like she lost a little bit of weight but nothing drastic. Her mom had always prepared the meals at home so sometimes she forgot to eat while in school. Her long legs looked more toned and he golden blond hair glowed dully in the cabin light.

“You’re so vain, I bet you think this song is about you!” sang Natalie.

“Oh shut the hell up. I guess you’re not that sick if you can make fun of me.”

“What are you looking at?” asked Natalie.

“I’m use to my Mom cooking for me so I think I’ve lost a few pounds. Nothing crazy or anything but sometimes I just forget to eat,” she said, chuckling.

Natalie raised an eyebrow. “Why is that funny?”

“I was a pig back home,” said Jessica, “My parents would find it hilarious that their daughter forgot to eat a meal.”

“Well maybe I should call and tell them,” said Natalie, grabbing Jessica’s phone out of her pocket.

“No!” she reached for the phone but fell face first onto the bed.

Natalie let out a mixture between a snort and a laugh before throwing the phone at Jessica’s head.

“Guess you’re feeling better,” said Jessica, her voice muffled by the comforter.