Chapter 2

That's Natalie to the right!

They had been in the book store for about five minutes when her phone suddenly went off. It wasn’t a library but it was quiet enough to make everyone turn and look at her. Jessica blushed a slight pink color before quickly answering the loud ringing phone.

“Hello?” she whispered.

“Jessica I can’t believe you didn’t call,” shouted a distraught Lilly.

“Crap Mom I’m sorry I forgot.”

“I just don’t know where your mind has been lately. We’re so glad you got into college but the way you’ve been acting has us really worried.”

“Yeah I know. Don’t worry I’ll be fine once I get a few classes under my belt.”

Lilly let out a loud sigh and continued with a softer voice. “Okay Jess but make sure to call once and a while and don’t forget that you promised to come home for a few holidays.”

She rolled her eyes and mouthed the word Mom to Natalie who was staring at the phone like it was possessed. The yelling from earlier could be heard throughout the whole book store.

Jessica rubbed her brow. “I will Mom, relax.”

“Do you like your roommate?”

“Well she’s alright,” said Jessica, knowing that Natalie could hear her.

She walked behind Jessica and hit her with the corner of her books while quietly mumbling the word “oops.”

She laughed into the phone and could immediately hear the mood change in her mom’s voice.

“Well Jess that’s just great. I’m glad you’re having such a good time and I want to know that we miss you a lot,” said Lilly.

“I miss you guys too,” whispered Jessica,  truly meaning what she said.

“Well stay out of trouble and I’ll talk to you later.”

“Will do Mom. Tell Dad I said hi.”

“Alright Jess, bye.”

She closed her phone and slid it back into her pocket. Natalie was animatedly talking to a tall girl with beautiful tanned skin. From her scent, Jessica knew right away that she was a shifter. Natalie spotted her watching and gestured for her to come over.

“What’s up?” asked Jessica.

“Hey, I’d like you to meet Nicole. She’s the head of the shifter sorority here. Other Universities use Greek symbols but we just go by names. They’re called the Howlers.”

“Nice to meet you Nicole, I’m Jessica.”

“Same to you,” said Nicole, flashing her a perfect smile.

“Well like I was telling Natalie, we’re accepting new members tomorrow night since it’s the start of the new semester. If you guys want to join then come to the meeting.”

She smiled once more at both of the girls before walking towards the doors. Right before she exited she looked over her shoulder and said loud enough so that the whole store could hear, “Oh yeah and make sure to wear the best lingerie you have.”

Natalie nodded in excitement while Jessica just stared back in horror. Everyone was either shaking their head in disapproval or grinning at them like idiots.

They paid for their things and walked back to the dorm rooms. Once they were safely inside Jessica decided it would be best to talk about the embarrassing scene.