Friends

I met Lexi by my car & she put a picnic basket in the backseat as I smirked at her. "You have an actual picnic basket." I chuckled as I opened her car door & let her climb in.

"I go to the beach a lot & I like picnics." She pursed her lips & raised her eyebrows at me as I closed the door. I leaned down & kissed her, quickly.

"I think it's cute." I said, then walked around & got in the car.

"Do you know what's not cute?" Lexi gave me a sideways glance. I looked at her as I started the car. "The fact that you're wearing a long sleeved shirt & sweats to the beach."

"I have trunks on underneath. I told you I don't wear shorts often because I don't want people to stare at my scars."

Lexi sighed & shook her head. "You're self conscious for no reason, you know that, right?" I grinned at her & she leaned to change the radio station. "Your scars aren't that bad. And if you wear your dog tags, no one will even think twice, because they will know you got those scars being a hero."

"If I wasn't head over heels in love with my best friend, I could totally fall in love with you. You're so sweet to say that." I smiled at her, then backed out of the driveway. I drove us to the beach, going to where Lexi told me to. I carried the basket & Lexi grabbed the blanket she brought, as well as our towels. We found a spot on the beach & laid out the blanket. Lexi took off her shirt & shorts & was adjusting her hair when I grabbed her & threw her over my shoulder, so I could run toward the water, her screaming the entire way there.

Lexi tried to pretend she was pissed at me when she broke through the surface of the water, after I dove in with her in my arms. She started splashing me as I laughed, then I grabbed her & dunked her in the water again. We splashed around in the water for a little while, then headed to our spot on the sand. We both were smiling as we dried off, then I sat down on the blanket. "You hungry yet?" Lexi asked, squeezing her hair with the towel. I nodded, shrugging as I brought the basket closer & opened it. Lexi sat next to me on her knees, looking into the basket. I pulled out the sandwiches she made, smiling because she made my favorite, peanut butter & black raspberry jam.

While we watched people on the busy beach, Lexi pulled out our lunch, then she poured us two glasses of sweet tea & after handing me mine, she leaned her head on my upper arm & sighed. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing's wrong. I'm actually happy. I love being friends who benefit." She threw me a glance, then giggled as she brought her glass to her lips.

"It does have its advantages." I said, then kissed her temple.

I sat my glass down on the sand, then leaned back on my hands so I could watch the waves crash on the shore. It was one of the things I missed the most, being in Iraq, since there was sand everywhere, but no water. I longed to see & hear waves crashing & spent many days, imagining that very thing. Now, watching this & hearing the sound, was bringing me peace. I was trying to be grateful for my life. I had to trust that God had a plan for me. He had to have a reason for making Demi not return my affections. Maybe one day, I'd thank him for the unanswered prayers, just like my favorite Garth Brooks song said.

"I do consider you a friend, ya know? I mean I know we're fucking, but you're my friend, first." I said.

Lexi nodded, sipping her tea. "I feel the same way, actually. Friends who benefit. Nothing could be better than that." She chuckled.

"Joe hit Demi, the other night." I blurted out, after there were several minutes of silence between me & Lexi.

She turned to look at me, her mouth hanging open. "Oh my God, are you serious?"