The Choice of Perspectives - AnneLutz

AnneLutz 

You've written the outline, picked the characters' names, and imagined the setting. But now, you have to decide which point of view to write your beloved story. Do you choose first person to create an intimate draw into your character's world, or do you use the third person to allow for more freedom? Before we delve into the possibilities that come with each point of view, we must first define them.

First person point of view takes the reader on a journey through the eyes of your protagonist. In this point of view, 'I' is the subject of the story, giving an immediate relationship between the reader and the character. Young adult examples of first person point of view include: Twilight, The Fault in Our Stars, and Divergent.

There are two distinct types of third person perspectives: limited and omniscient. While markedly different, the two point of views both tell the story through the pronouns 'he' and 'she,' rather than 'I' and 'me.' This lengthens the distance between the character and the reader, though it still has its benefits. Third person limited point of view tells the story with the pronouns 'he' and 'she,' but it only gives the inner thoughts and emotions of one character. An example of a young adult book in third person limited can be seen in the popular Cell Phone Swap on Wattpad.

Conversely, third person omniscient allows the writer to move from one character's thoughts to another's. In young adult, third person omniscient is less commonly seen. One example is William Golding's Lord of the Flies, in which the narrator switches from Ralph to Jack to Simon.

You may be wondering...what about second person? Second person is the point of view in which 'you' is used, rather than 'I' or 'he' and 'she.' In most cases, second person is a bad idea. It can occasionally work well in short stories or in directional pieces (like this article); however, it is best to avoid second person when writing longer pieces of fiction (especially if you're a new writer). If you think it's imperative to your piece that it be in second person, then I say go for it—just make sure you have a good reason for doing so.

That leads us into our next topic of discussion: what is the best point of view for your young adult story? It's a vital question to ask before you begin your story. Primarily, this choice comes down to your own preference. How do you want your reader to perceive your character? Do you want a personal relationship between your reader and character or one with a bit more distance? Think carefully before you choose.

If you're completely stuck on what to choose, you're in luck. Young Adult Reads recently conducted a poll on which point of views are preferred by readers in which genres. Eighty-nine people responded. Here are the results:

YA ROMANCE: 85%  first person, 15% third person

YA SCI-FI: 67% first person, 33% third person

YA HIGH FANTASY: 35% first person, 65% third person

YA PARANORMAL: 61% first person, 39% third person

YA OVERALL: 74% first person, 26% third person

These stats show that first person point of view is more often the safe choice in young adult. However, if you are writing high fantasy, you may consider writing in the third person point of view--more people seem to prefer third person in books like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. Good luck in your choice of perspectives. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. 

Question: Through which point of view are you writing your young adult story and why? Share in the comments below! 

@AnneLutz is a twenty-one-year-old college student, studying in Montana. She is the author of Sink or Swim, Being Different, Random Number, and Losing Control.