Day One: A Twinkle on the Heart

Day One: A twinkling eye can mean many things.

Her eyes were misty and already puffy. She blinked furiously, looked up as she did it, squeezed her eyes shut, wiped them with her nail-bitten hands. Nothing worked.

"I... I'm sorry, Liliana," her fiancé - ex-fiancé - said, his eyebrows clenched together. "I just don't think we're going to work together anymore. It's not just me, you have to understand, I'm not the only one at fault here." His business-like manner of speech worked through even to the most romantic conversations. "You've become awfully distant over the last few months." He straightened his back and fixated her with his also tear-filled eyes. "I'm sorry. But I have to leave, you have to understand. I need more from a relationship, Liliana."

"Yes, Raf. I understand." She took a big breath in through her nose and breathed out softly through her teeth. It made a slight whistle. She clamped her lips shut.

"You can leave now. If you'd like."

"Thank you." Raf picked up his suitcase and took a deep breath. "I..." He seemed to swallow whatever he was about to say and dipped his head. "I'll be back, soon, to collect the rest of my stuff."

Liliana nodded, her hands shaking as she held the door open. If she'd been sitting down, her leg would have been jiggling too. "Okay. Goodbye, Raf." Despite telling himself to be professional about the whole thing, Raf couldn't help but lean forwards and kiss her softly on her cheek.

"Bye, Liliana," he said sadly.

The door swung shut on its hinges. Liliana sniffed again, easily blinked back the tears, and turned around to the bedroom door, her hands on her hips. "You can come out, now," she said in an even, steady, even husky voice. A man slipped around the doorway, grinned at her, and dropped his trousers.