Chapter Five

I awoke...feeling disorientated and pained. I groaned and tried to feel the top of my head and frowned when I couldn't do so properly. What was this? I thought.

"He's awake," a woman's voice whispers. I looked around; trying to find the face of the woman's voice but my vision was still too blurred.

"Where am I?" I groaned.

"You are in the church, silly," the woman's voice answered. I finally spotted a face through the blurring fog. I reached out to touch the face but it was too far away. I dropped my hand in frustration. Then a hand slowly moved in front of my face, seeing it move closer, I raised my hand to touch it and see if it was real. The hand quickly slapped my hand away and I growled annoyingly at it but I acknowledged it was real.

"Sorry about that, lad. We had a little bit of trouble; seeing as the lovely lass here, did a bit of damage. So we had to drag you both into the church by the rope, you being the dead weight, of course," a man spoke. The voice sounded very familiar but I could not for the life of me remember where I had heard it before. I felt someone tap my head and I winced, feeling the padding on my head being removed and replaced with new bandages. I tried to touch my head but the hand slapped it away again.

"What happened? I asked. The hand and faced moved away.

"You tried to save me," the woman said.

"Well you did save me but the wind flung me at you and...well...I fly-kicked you into a pole that had sharp steel protruding out of it. Sorry about that and thank you for trying to save me," she whispered the last sentence and kissed my cheek. I heard the slight tapping of heels on the steel floor and blushed. I lifted my hand to where she had kissed my cheek, as if I could feel its physical presence and smiled.

"You like her don't you?" the man spoke. I looked up, not sure what to say because I didn't. Or maybe, I did, I thought. Then I remembered the beautiful woman, the monster who killed Aunty Marnie. My hands turned to fists and my eyes angrily furrowed. I quickly controlled it though and chose my words wisely, "Well, she is no monster."

The man laughed uproariously at my remark, "No, she isn't a monster but a warrior and I am sure she'd sacrifice herself for her people than love another."

"Love another?" I questioned. I understood the warrior code and really, I didn't like the woman that way.

"Ahh, young love," the man whispered so low I could barely hear it, "But she came here a wife, lad. The man and their children were at the nursery on the first attack. Sadly, didn't live."

I lowered my head in a silent prayer, remembering that night when the nursery turned into a hunting ground for these creatures. The ebbing headache now dissipitated. I looked up at the man, my vision now clearer. Clear enough to recognise the man was Mr McCallistar.

"No, Mr McCallistar. I'm not interested because I have made it my goal to keep you all alive and the army...dead," I smiled and he returned the evil smile back.

"Now, get me up," I commanded. Mr McCallistar raised a hand out and helped me to stand up. I looked around while Mr McCallistar helped me stand. I was in my room on the third storey of my church fortress. Struggling to stand, Mr McCallistar walked me to the single, steel chair and helped me be seated.

I looked at the plastic bags of tins that had been stacked in a neat pile then looked at Mr McCallistar stunned, my eyes wide. He winked and walked out of the room to give me some space. Opening the first can on the neat stack, I ate myself a snack of spaghetti.

****

Once I had eaten, I felt almost one hundred percent better. My vision was better, my thought processing was on its way to being good, and my reflex mechanism was on the okay side. I had decided that if all these qualities were okay then I should try my hand at standing and walking even if it was slowly to the meeting and eating room. When I stood, sometimes using the chair as a balancing post, I realised that I was wobbly but safe to walk.