Chapter 9/ Nate's gang

Nate^

The Song Samantha sings is hello by Adele.

••NOT EDITED••

~Jax~

Zac and I walked down my driveway laughing. We stopped when we were confronted with a group of guys our age.
Nate.

"I knew you two were gay." He smirked at us and I felt my jaw clench.
"What do you what?" Zac asked with his chest puffed out.
"Oh thats right... We're going house to house raising money for our school." He shot us a cocky smirk.
Nate and his gang went to an advanced boarding school.

"Well don't bother going to my house." I threatened. I didn't want them to meet Samantha.
"Oh on the contrary," Nate started "We just saw a cute lil blonde at the door... We thought we'd check it out." He shot me another one of his famous smirks and I growled at him like an animal.
"Stay away from her..." I locked my eyes with him and gave him a deadly glare.
"Is she your girlfriend?" He crossed his arms over his chest.
"No..." I started.
"Then she not yours. Therefore, she's up for grabs." He gave me a fake smile before pushing right between Zac and I.
"Excuse us." He sneered as his gang pushed through us. 

I watched as they made their way up the driveway.
"What do we do?" Zac whispered to me.
"Come on..." I led him across my lawn and to the front door bushes. We crouched low to not be seen.
We waited anxiously for Nate and his gang to make it up to the door.

He fixed the collar of his jacket before placing three spaced knocks on the hard wood door.
It took a few moments for the door to swing open.
Samantha looked surprised to see the boys. 

"Hi... may I help you?"
I squeezed my eyes shut from the sweet sound of her voice.
"Yeah... I'm Nate, and these are my friends, Nick, Tyler, Joseph, and Matthew." He motioned to all of his friends as he spoke. "We're raising money to go on a school field trip. Would you be interested in donating?" He smiled falsely at her. It sickened me how nice he was being, but then again, he was an amazing actor.  

"Oh yeah. Just give me a second to grab some money from my purse. Would you like to step in side for a moment?" She replied in her sing song voice and held the door open as the boys walked inside my house!

I face palmed myself.
She let them inside?! And she's using her own money for their stupid field trip? Ugh, Samantha! You're smarter than this!

I stood up and ran into my house.
"Jax!" I heard Zac whisper yell before running in after me.
The guys were sitting around the island in the kitchen and Samantha's back was turned away from them, digging through her purse.
"Samantha..." I mumbled as I walked over to her.
She looked up at me with confusion. "Are these the guys you were talking about? Because they're actually really nice, Jax."

"Aw... Don't listen to Jax. He's just a big meanie." Nate pouted at her then smiled evilly at me. "He probably hasn't even told you about his boxing career... has he?"
I glared at him before I turned to Samantha who was staring blankly at Nate. "You...box? Since when?" She looked up at me.
"Since I was little." I mumbled as Zac came to stand by my side.
"Why didn't you tell me?"  Her face was expressionless.
"Shit, Samantha, it's not like we're friends! You just live with me right now, why would I tell you that?!" I yelled as I ran a hand through my hair.
"You're right..." She spoke softly and nodded slightly. "I'm sorry that I thought of you as my friend." She spit out at me before sprinting up the stairs.

I looked at Zac and he was just as stunned as I was. Before I could yell at Nate who was snickering, we heard a piano being played. I blindly walked up the stairs.

"Get the fuck out." I heard Zac pushing Nate and his gang out of the door and slamming it shut.

I stopped in the doorway as I watched Samantha play the piano that was in the upstairs lounge.

"Hello, it's me
I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet
To go over everything
They say that time's supposed to heal ya
But I ain't done much healing
Hello, can you hear me
I'm in California dreaming about who we used to be
When we were younger and free
I've forgotten how it felt before the world fell at our feet"

She sang more confident than at the party. And she was amazing!

"There's such a difference between us
And a million miles

Hello from the other side
I must have called a thousand times
To tell you I'm sorry for everything that I've done
But when I call you never seem to be home
Hello from the outside
At least I can say that I've tried
To tell you I'm sorry for breaking your heart
But it don't matter it clearly doesn't tear you apart anymore"

Zac ran up the stairs and joined me to listen to her. He looked just as impressed as I was. For someone so small, she sure has booming vocal chords.

"Hello, how are you
It's so typical of me to talk about myself I'm sorry
I hope that you're well
Did you ever make it out of that town where nothing ever happened

It's no secret that the both of us
Are running out of time"

I could tell that tears were threatening to leak from her eyes. What is she thinking about? Our fight? Lewis? Nate?

"So hello from the other side
I must have called a thousand times
To tell you I'm sorry for everything that I've done
But when I call you never seem to be home
Hello from the outside
At least I can say that I've tried
To tell you I'm sorry for breaking your heart
But it don't matter it clearly doesn't tear you apart"

I closed my eyes to stop my buzzing mind so I could just savor her voice.

"Hello from the other side
I must have called a thousand times
To tell you I'm sorry for everything that I've done
But when I call you never seem to be home
Hello from the outside
At least I can say that I've tried
To tell you I'm sorry for breaking your heart
But it don't matter it clearly doesn't tear you apart anymore..."

After she stopped singing, she pounded down hard on the keys, making Zac jump and my eyes fling open. She continued to pound on them until she hit her head on the keys and sobbed into them.

I motioned to Zac to leave and he nodded, running down the stairs.
I silently crept over to her and sat on the bench. I gently rubbed her back and at the first touch of my hand, she sat up straight, turned away from me and feverishly wipe away her tears.
She turned back to me but averted my gaze, staring down at the piano keys.

"...you have an amazing voice." I spoke up after a few seconds.
She chuckled a little. "Thanks.."
"Why were you crying?"
"I wasn't..." She still didn't look at me when she spoke.
"It's ok to cry." I reminded her and she laughed humorlessly as she shook her head.
"It's nothing. Just forget it." She said before standing up and going into her room.
I walked to her doorway. "I'm sorry. About our fight..."
She nodded at me."Me too..."

So with that, Zac and I left for the skatepark. Even though I just wanted to stay with Samantha...