Chapter Eighteen

Luke comes down the stairs wearing gray sweatpants and a royal blue T-shirt. His hair is wet and curly from the shower. Funny, I'd never noticed he had curls. Probably because of all the gel he had in it earlier.

"Pizza almost here?" he asks.

"No, I decided to get Chinese instead. I hope that's okay," I say.

"No problem. I love Chinese food!" He smiles at me, and I smile back.

"Look, there's something I've been meaning to ask you..." I begin uneasily.

"Yeah?"

"Would it be okay if I stayed a little longer?"

"Well sure, but don't you want to go back to your family?"

"Not really. They'd probably hate me."

"For running away?"

"Yes," I answer. Isn't it obvious? No parent is necessarily welcoming when their child returns after running away.

"I think they'd be glad to have you back," says Luke.

I scoff. "Please. They barely acknowledge me as it is. I doubt they've even noticed I'm gone."

"Come on, Chase, give them a chance. Your family loves you."

"How can you say that? You don't even know them."

"I don't have to know them to understand that they're worried sick about you. Any parent in their right mind would be."

Suddenly I'm angry with him. How can he do this to me?! He's supposed to make me feel better, not worse!

"Why don't you just mind your own business? It's my choice whether to go back or not."

"No, it's not. I could kick you out, Chase. Tell you to leave and go find someplace else to stay. But I'm not. So have a little patience. I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from."

"Well try harder! Because you obviously can't see that my family hates me!" I snap.

"At least you have a family!" he screams, his face red with anger.

I'm in total shock. "What?"

"Nothing. Nevermind. Forget I said anything. Let's just...go back to-"

"No," I interrupt. "Tell me what you meant by that. 'At least you have a family.' What's that supposed to mean?"

He heaves a big, exasperated breath. "Do you really want to know?"

"Yes. Tell me everything."