Fighting for a Pick Up Game

(Lexi's P.O.V)

Practice was longer than planned. Coach didn't let us go until we had everyone doing their skills and no falls. We've only done this routine five times already. No big deal right? Wrong. Definitely wrong. We've restarted this full out three times already and my legs feel like jello. Half an hour later we finished our conditioning and are able to leave. I rush back home and take a fifteen minute shower. When I'm heading out the door I call Jacob. He doesn't pick up and I look at the time. It's only 7:45. He's not eating yet and he definitely isn't asleep. He might even have gotten out of practice about an hour ago. I walk the rest of this seven minute walk to his house checking my phone every so often.

When I knock on the door Jasmine answers. She smiles at me and opens the door wider.

"He's in his room." She says as I walk in and closes the door behind me. I walk up the stairs and listen for any sound of life.

I knocked lightly on his door and call his name. The door is open a crack and I open it all the way. All of a sudden I wish I didn't come over. I see Jacob sitting on the bed with his shirt off. The worst part is that there's a girl standing in front of him. Her legs are in between his and she's kissing him. Her hands are playing with his hair which still looks damp.

"Jacob." I feel a tear fall and land on my shoe. The girl finally turns around and I see it's Julie. Jacob stands up off the bed and comes over to me. He cuffs my cheeks with both hands and tears fall even faster.

"Lexi. Listen to me. It's not what you think." I push his hands away and wipe the tears on the back of my hands.

"Why are you still here?" I yell at Julie. "Go away!"

"It's not your house! You can't kick me out." She states simply. I guess Jacob knew I was getting ready to attack because he grabs me from behind.

"Julie. Go home. Don't ever come back either." Jacob says behind me. Her smug smile leaves her face and she walks out the door. I stand facing away from Jacob too paralyzed by what I saw.

"I promise I didn't kiss her back. I swear it. You know I would never do that to you. Just let me explain." He pleads. I don't know whether to make a run for it or listen to him. I wipe the remaining tears and turned to face him. He takes it as his que to start. He walks back over to the bed and sits. Sighing, he finally starts, "I just got out the shower and was drying my hair with a towel when I heard the door open. Since I thought it was you I didn't bother putting a shirt on. Julie started telling me again how she's like me since we first met and was tired of letting other girls take her place next to me. She explained how her and Reilly were never friends and that she used her to get to me. Julie started talking about this whole love at first sight and golden couple stuff and then suddenly she's kissing me. I refused to kiss her back and she started playing with my hair. Then you walked in and, well, you know the rest." I walked over and sat on the bed next to him. He didn't kiss her, he didn't even touch her. It makes sense why Reilly and Julie weren't working together. I take a deep breath and look at Jacob who is trying to read my thoughts.

I stand back up and get in front of him and his eyes follow. I look at his hair which is messy and ruffled from messing with it. My hand goes through it over and over again.

"Talking to you is one thing, kissing is another, but playing with your hair? That's just something you don't do." He releases a sigh of relief and his hands find my waist pulling me to his lap. I continue to play with his hair until he nuzzles his face into my neck. I do the same and breath in his sent. His hair by his ear tickle my face.

"I thought I was going to lose you. I don't think I would've been able to bear it." He whispers.

"I could've lost you to Julie."