Fighting for a Goodbye

Lexi's P.OV

I clean out my locker of everything except for books and binders that I'll need for the next week. Starbucks cup? Check. Gum wrappers? Check. Broken pencils and pens with no ink? Double check. I don't know why I'm cleaning it out. It's not even my trash! I think to myself. I don't like gum, Starbucks isn't that good, and I don't keep broken pencils and inkless pens in my locker! I don't even keep them in my pencil bag! Suddenly I feel a presence behind me. I pull out a Cosmo magazine and nail polish from my locker and turn towards the victim. I raise an eyebrow.

"Hey remember that time when you said you were gonna take these along with all your other crap out of my, hence, my locker?" I say holding the items out to her. She taps her finger on her lower lip and thinks about it.

"Hmm. I don't recall. Thanks for doing it for me though. I owe you one." She grabs the magazine and polish and puts them in her backpack.

"Add it to the list." I mumble. Meet Payton, your typical girly-girl, the kind of girl that can have guys staring after her when she sashays down the hall. She has natural wavy blond hair with perfect blue eyes and dimples to match. Along with her stunning looks, she's smart, and just a little to sarcastic for my taste. We became friends in sixth grade. She made fun of me for wearing jeans instead of a skirt on the first day of school. What was I thinking to wear jeans? Stupid me. She invited me over a couple of days later after noticing my pattern of ugly choices of clothing to do a makeover. The whole 'New Look New You' thing only lasted about two hours before she gave up on making me Barbie's best friend. She claimed I had no hope in life and that I would be "thuggin'" my whole life. Yes, she said thuggin'. What a great friend I have. From that year forward she has never left me alone and hasn't truly given up on making me look like a clown.

I finish throwing everything out of my locker when the first bell rings. I slide the garbage can back over to the corner and shut my locker. I start walking and Payton strides beside me.

"Where's Meagan?" Payton asks smiling to a girl that walks past. Did I mention she's really friendly too?

"She had morning practice for..." I pause thinking. "One of the sports she plays." Meagan is our other best friend. Payton went after her with the whole makeover thing too but she didn't push it as much as she does to me though.

Meagan is more of a tomboy than a girly-girl but she dresses the part. She usually has nice clothes on, even nicer than Payton sometimes. She has naturally curly hair, brown eyes, and barely-there dimples. She along with Payton is smart and usually friendly. She's also quiet around people, unless that people happen to be on her team or teams as I should put it. She plays softball, track, volleyball, and soccer which is how we met. We played on the same soccer team ever since we were eight. We met on my first day on the team. The coach was trying to figure out what position I played and put me in goal. Meagan kicked the ball hard and it bounced off my face like a paddle ball and went into the goal. My nose oozed blood and she didn't even apologize. What another great best friend I have. Seriously, boy can I pick them. The coach kept putting me in different positions until I was comfortable with one. Meagan and I became forwards together and we're the main ones scoring the winning goals. Ever since then she grew fond of me. We also played on the same volleyball team three years after and still continue it together. That is until I found out I was leaving.

As we sit in our seats Meagan comes running into class right as the tardy bell rings.

"You know if you didn't dress up you might've actually been on time." I say as she sits on Payton's left side.

"Not everyone wants to look like a hobo Lexi." Payton chimes in. I ignore her insult and stare at Meagan.

"I wasn't late. I timed it perfectly thank you very much."