Chapter 22 - Paranoia

Start from the beginning

After searching for at least twenty minutes through the streets of France, I can't seem to spot him. He's completely lost. Maybe I should just go back to the house and do a locator spell. I turn around to start walking back to the house but I abruptly stop I see police cars start zooming past me in a desperate hurry. Right away, I get this feeling in my gut and I know they're here because of Kol doing something terrible. I'm turning back around and running towards the scene. The police cars are messily scattered across the parking lot of a local pub.

"Damn it Kol, what did you do?" I whisper to myself. I speed over to the constable, the highest ranked policeman and tap on his shoulder. He turns around in confusion and I place my hand on his shoulder and focus into his eyes.

"You will gather your men and return back to your station. This is a false alarm and there is no real damage here," I compel and after a few seconds he comprehends and nods. The constable speaks into his walkie-talkie clipped on his jacket and goes back into his car. All the other policeman are confused with his order but don't disobey and go back inside of their cars. I sigh in relief and prepare myself for whatever I see when I open the door. I slowly inch towards the door and gently push it open. Blood, fresh blood is the first thing I smell. The pub is oddly quiet and it reeks of death. It's almost tempting, but I'm stronger than to feed. When I fully open the door, the door hits a body on the floor and I look down to see a man lying in his own puddle of blood. I step over his body and go further into the apocalyptic pub. More bodies are lying in puddles of blood. Some are leaning over the bar, dead and drained of their blood. A woman is lying on a pool table with her neck torn out.

"Kol!" I call out, while walking and stepping over bodies lined all over the floor, "Kol!" I scream out one more time. That's when I see him. He's draining a girls blood that's lying on the pool table. He pulls away from her and I can hear his fangs rip away from her skin. Kol's once clean clothes are now drenched in blood and almost every inch of his face is slathered in it as well. The dark veins are protruding from underneath his black eyes and the red liquid is dripping from his mouth. He let this whole pub feel his wrath without holding back. His vampire form slowly disappeared when his eyes landed on me. For a moment, neither of us say anything and I'm staring at him in disbelief while his eyes are trained on the ground.

"I messed up," Kol looks up and his eyes seem somewhat teary, "didn't I?"

I don't want to say anything in fear of hurting him more, but he's right. He did mess up.

"I don't know what was going through my head when I actually believed you would pick me over Niklaus," Kol drops to the floor and hugs his knees to his body, "I'm sorry Julianna, I truly am."

"Sorry for what?" I finally manage to speak.

"I'm sorry for last night. I'm sorry that I wreaked havoc on this pub and you have to come clean it up, I'm sorry for disappointing you, I'm sorry that I couldn't be the one for you, and most of all," Kol's glassy eyes look up at me and I felt a pang of hurt on my heart, "I'm sorry for falling in love with you."

"Kol," I trail off, not knowing how to respond to his confession. He truly looks like he's given up and I can hear the soft sniffles coming from him.

"I just want to be loved," his small broken voice whispers and that's when I drop to the ground in front of him and wrap my arms around his shaking body.

"The thousand years I have lived, I can't remember the last time my siblings showed they cared. I never found a woman, besides you, that I could love and she could love me," I soothingly rub my hand up and down his back to try and calm him. Is this what he thinks? That his family doesn't care about him. I sort of always knew this insecurity he had with them. That somehow, the lot of them never really cared for him. I could understand how he might feel that way. The strongest bonds in this family is between Elijah, Klaus, and Rebekah. Elijah is always looking out for Klaus, Klaus looking out for Rebekah, and Rebekah looking out for Elijah. Kol is usually the odd one out, and he's left to fend for himself.