15 - Sathariel's Condition

Start from the beginning

“Luci,” he stepped forward with something close to a smile. Something told me that he wasn’t Mr. Congeniality. “Where could your father be at this time? He expects our arrival.”

Luci. That was her name. I remembered Millie telling me that all of them—Hector’s minions—were made to have the same face.

Was she one of them?

The blond girl pouted, giving Levi a smoldering look. “But you said—“

“I know,” he replied patiently. “For the meantime, Grigori will have to escort you to the seaside. Shortly after I have settled matters with your father, I will be with you.”

“Hump,” the girl turned away from us, crossing her arms. I tried to search her face for some hint that she recognized us. For the moment, she didn’t seem interested at all. “Why does it always have to be Grigori?”

As expected, Grigori had quickly recovered from my low blow. He still walked a tad funny though. He would probably kill me later for that.

With a diffident grunt, he scratched the back of his head and mumbled, “Don’t say that Luci. I’ll carry you on my back all the way to the shore if you want.” He looked really disappointed about Luci rejecting his company.

“Really?” Luci chirped as she went and clung around Grigori’s arm. “Abum is in the orchidarium.” As quick as a cricket, she climbed over the huge dude’s back and shouted, “Well, let’s go, Grigori! Let’s show them the way!” in a tone a little too enthusiastic for the occasion.

I was still floating three inches above ground when one of Levi’s men took me by the shoulders and pushed me forward like a grocery cart. Not the coolest way to barge into the supposed enemies’ lair but it wasn’t like I had a choice. It didn’t hurt one bit. It felt so weird though as if my body was covered tightly with plastic wrap.

We took the path along the cherry trees. While walking under them, I could just make out the faintest sweet smell in the air. It didn’t smell like cherries. It smelled like innocence. Just the false feeling of being safe.

In silence, I tried to think of the worst case scenario. My mind just went blank. With a sigh, I focused my eyes on the way. Vincent was doing the same. He should’ve at least talked to me. Not just shut his mind from me like this. And so it seemed that we just entered another rousing game of Ignore Me and I was it.

“Who’s Mr. S?” I quietly asked Grigori.

He seemed hesitant to answer for a second. Couldn’t blame him. But in the end, he grunted, “He… takes care of everything in Halja.”

“He’s my father,” Luci added with a smile.

Her gooseberry-green eyes made me uneasy. Maybe it was the seemingly sincere smile, the innocent face, the friendliness of her tone that I couldn’t believe. In a strange place like this, trust was one thing we couldn’t afford to give away.

Clearing my throat, I looked down and muttered, “So… is he like your leader?”

“You can consider it that,” Luci replied. I could feel her scrutinizing me in a curious way. “But Abum is not a formal leader. Our people come to him for advice, yes. Whenever there’s a conflict—which rarely ever happens here—he is the one consulted for diplomatic resolution. Other than that, he’s just like everybody else.”

Maybe this Mr. S can help us find the guy we’re looking for.

Grigori chuckled almost nervously. “A piece of advice. Don’t even think of saying the ‘S’ word in front of him. He’ll… lose it.”