Chapter 24: Choux à La Crème, Escargot, and Prince Charmings

Start from the beginning

       "That's the one."

       "Why would you do that? When did you do this?"

       "You said you weren't going to wear it again! When they came over this summer, your aunt mentioned that Pam was growing up and going to prom next year. I told her that she could have your dress."

       I groaned. "I just said that I was getting a different dress for Senior Prom."

       "Whoops," he said with little apologetic tone in his voice. "What do you need it for anyways?"

       "I'm going to a formal party and I need to wear the black-tie attire."

       "So buy a new one."

       "We can't afford it."

       "I bet your mother has—"

       I cut him off icily. "I'm not borrowing things from her."

       "But she called me last night and said that you two were going to have lunch or something."

       "She called you?"

       He shrugged, looking a tad bit guilty. "We talk every once in a while."

       "That's not healthy, Dad," I scolded.

       "About you!" he defended. "It's not like I'm trying to win her back, Pumpkin."

       "She's still your ex!"

       "And she's still your mother and you will respect her. Understand?"

       I had never seen him so annoyed and passionate about manners before, and it made me sort of irritated me because it was over my mother. Dad and I agreed on most everything, but Rochelle was not one of the things that we shared. Dad defended her and I did the opposite. It was obvious that his feelings for her had not faded away. It was sad that he hadn't moved on, but in a romantic's point of view, it was really quite sweet.

       "Understood."

       "Family is family. Family is supposed to be there even through all the mistakes and mess-ups. Call her." And then he left the room, shutting the door gently behind him.

       I sighed, dialing her number. After three rings, I was sent to her voicemail. "Hi, you've reached Rochelle Summer's—" Oh, she kept the name. "—mailbox. Please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Beep."

       "Hey, it's Charlotte. Call me back. I need to ask you something. Bye."

       I pressed the screen in bitter annoyance, tossing it lightly onto my bed. I groaned and went to grab it.

       If Dad could forgive Rochelle for shattering his heart into a million pieces multiple times, I could forgive Emma for sleeping with Luke. To be fair, I hadn't told her I was hopelessly in love with him. I kept it to myself. I shouldn't blame her. Luke was just so irresistible and charming when he wanted to be. Perhaps that was just my opinion of him. I thought he was always charming, even when he was completely disgusting. Luke was just someone I could be myself with, whoever I was. He accepted me. I just wasn't sure if I could accept him.

       Immaturely and out of anger, I had deleted Emma's number. Only, I didn't really delete it. I mean, her contact in my phone was gone, but I knew the ten digits by heart. I had memorized it just in case I got stranded with only a payphone or a kind stranger's cellular device.