Once you and Matt had breakfast and were properly dressed you headed outside into the snow. The wind was bracing and you clung to Matt's arm more out of need than want. You walked for quite some time before Matt stopped you.
He pulled you behind a tree and made you stay there. He was gone for a moment and when he came back his pulled you close and whispered harshly, "Go back to the cabin."
"Why?" you asked, prying yourself away from him. "What'd you see?"
"Something I wished I hadn't, and something I don't want you to see," he said. "Now go back. I'll be back later."
"No, you brought me all the way out here to see so I'm going to," you said pushing past him. He tried to stop you but you were already gone.
You walked until you saw a clearing. In it was a man and a stag that'd been shot. The man was decapitating the deer's head for it's large antlers. Dark red blood stained the snow around them and you felt your knees get weak. They buckled under you, but Matt caught you. He carried you back a ways, until you said you were okay.
       You were unsteady though and the more you thought about it, the sicker you felt. You collapsed to your knees and threw up your breakfast, heaving even after you were done. Tears burned your eyes, and bile burned your throat. You felt Matt's arms lift you off the ground, and cradle you to his chest. You couldn't stop yourself from sniveling and shaking, burying your face in his neck.
Matt carried you all the way back to the cabin and laid you down on the couch. You looked up at him, your eyes red and searching. "When you feel good enough to get up you should go take a warm shower," he said. He pushed a small piece of hair from your face then pulled away. "I'm going to take care of this."
You watched him leave, and closed your eyes, still feeling uneasy. You rested for a while, before you finally decided to get up, and taking his advice, went to take a shower. You made sure it was a thorough but quick one, knowing Matt would like to take one as well.
You put on fresh clothes, trying to make yourself feel better. As you were heading back to the living room, the door opened sending a chilling wind through you. Matt stepped in and shut the door, and you noticed there was blood splattered on him.
"Wh-what happened?" you stuttered, feeling sick again. He looked scarier than usual with blood on his face and clothes.
"I didn't kill him like this," he said flatly. "It was his own damn fault. He still had that dear head, and I approached him, telling him he needed to leave again. He got hostile, tried to run at me. Idiot fell forward on top of those antlers, went into his abdomen. He's probably bleeding out still, which is fitting for him."
"That...that's horrible," you said, imagining the scene play out. It nearly made you sick again but you shook it off. You were quiet for a moment before you spoke again. "Matt...is that what poachers really do? Are they all like that?"
Matt nodded sullenly, taking off his jacket and hanging it up. "Most aren't as bad as what you saw, but they all do the same thing."
"That was the most ungodly thing I've ever seen," you said, absentmindedly reaching up and wiping away some blood from his face. "I understand now why you fight it..."
He was about to stop you from touching him, but he felt the warmth of your fingers and knowing now that you believed as he did, he didn't want to stop you. "I'm glad you understand," he said.
You looked into his eyes for a long time, your hand still lightly pressed to his cold cheek before you blushed and pulled away. "You should go take a shower."
Matt nodded, moving past you and into the bathroom. He shut the door behind him and leaned onto it. He was a bit tired, but mostly surprised by the sudden affection he was shown. It had sent a small shiver down his spine that he refused to acknowledge. He sighed and shook his head, stripping out of his clothes and getting into the shower.
You went into the kitchen, and searched through the cabinets until you found Matt's liquor stash. You rifled through the bottles, looking at the labels to see what you thought was best. You finally decided on some good year brandy and found a couple of glasses. You poured some over ice, then went into the living room.
When Matt emerged from the bathroom, steam billowing around him, he went immediately into his bedroom to get dressed. He came out in lounge clothing, finding you sitting in front of the fire.
"____?" he questioned, sitting down beside you. Without looking over, you handed him the other glass of brandy. He stared at it, a bit surprised but thankful.
Together you both drank in silence. Kuma nuzzled beside of Matt, who lazily petted him until the large dog was asleep. Matt stared into the fire for a while before he reached over and pulled you closer to his chest.
You blinked in surprise. "Matt...?" you said looking up at him. His damp blonde hair shone in the firelight, and his violet eyes were staring back down at you. You blushed some, still in surprise at the sudden embrace.
"Have you decided to stay with me?" he asked simply. "You said you understood that I fought them, but you didn't say if you were leaving or not."
"Oh...well I suppose I don't have anywhere to go really..." you said, trying to sound rational when in truth you wanted to be here now.
"Good," he said, looking back up and clearing his throat. You wondered if the red on his face was from the warmth or something else...
       He sat there with you even after he had finished his glass, keeping his arms around you firmly. You sipped the brandy slowly, taking in the peaceful moment while it lasted. You considered letting yourself fall asleep once you had finished your drink, but Matt took both glasses and put them back in the kitchen. When he came back he nodded towards the couch.
"Sit up there, I'll find something for us to watch," he instructed. You nodded and got on the couch, wrapping up in a blanket. Soon after, Matt joined you and flipped on the television. He'd put in a tape of some hockey movie from the 80's and you both watched it in silence for half an hour before speaking.
"Are you feeling any better?" he asked, turning to face you. His violet eyes seemed much softer now.
       You nodded. "Yes, I was just...shocked when I saw..."
      "Don't think about it," he interjected. "As far as I'm concerned, you won't have to see that again."
You nodded, surprised by the protective tone in his voice. You leaned your head on his shoulder, and in turn he laid an arm around your shoulders. There was another long stretch of silence while you watched the movie.
"I'm glad you decided to stay," he stated suddenly, not taking his eyes from the screen.
You glanced up at him. "Why is that?"
"It's just...lonely up here," he said, fidgeting a little. "I've been doing it so long that I thought I was used to it, but having you here..."
You blushed as he trailed off. You wanted him to continue, but he seemed a bit embarrassed. You sat up to see him a little better.
"I'm glad you enjoy my company," you said, tucking a piece of hair behind his ear. "If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be here."
He turned his head to look at you, your hand still lingering behind his head. You locked eyes with him for a moment and you felt a chill go up your spine.
"Matt..." you murmured, feeling the need to say his name. You couldn't move right then, and you didn't want to.
Slowly, he inched closer and you could smell the cigarette smoke and brandy. Your hand rested in his hair as his arm pulled you closer.
       He closed the gap between you both and you were kissing him softly. Your heart was beating quickly and thoughts were racing through your mind so fast you couldn't keep up with them.
        Your eyes fluttered shut as his lips moved faster against yours. His arm kept you in place while his other hand roamed up your neck slowly. Though his hands were rough his touch was uncharacteristically soft and gentle. Before you could stop yourself, a small noise of pleasure escaped your lips and Matt smirked and pulled away.
"That easy to please you?" he asked with an arched eyebrow. You smacked his arm lightly and rolled your eyes.
"Shut up, it was on accident," you said. "Just trying to make you feel better."
He chuckled. "Sure," he said, tracing the shell of your ear lightly with his thumb. "Listen, kid, I know I'm not good with words, but I hope you understand what I was saying earlier..."
"Yes, I think I do," you said, laying your head on his shoulder. "And if not I'll be sure to ask."