Second Question

(Trigger warning: animal cruelty, blood, death mention)
It was a month or so later, and you had decided to not argue with Matt about chores so long as he didn't demean you when he asked. He'd become much more laid back now that Kuma was back to health. It was amazing to watch such a big dog trot around the house and how well he listened to Matt. He even slept in bed with his master, which you found cute and funny.
Except today Matt came to you, looking slightly, and uncharacteristically nervous. "I don't know if you've noticed," he began as you were eating your dinner one night. "But Kuma hasn't been sleeping in my room lately. I think it gets too warm in there for him or something."
You blinked, looking at him curious. You weren't sure what he was getting at.
"And?" you pressed, wondering how this was relevant.
"I was telling to see if you were interested in staying in there," he said gruffly, like the situation was awkward. "It's the only room I keep heated and it's better than sleeping on the couch in the den."
"Wait...I'd actually sleep in a bed?" you questioned. "Your bed?"
He sighed, seeming almost flustered. "Yeah, it's a full size so it's not a big deal," he muttered.
You laughed. "You won't let me sit in your chair, but I can sleep in your bed with you?"
Matt frowned and started walking off. "Never mind then," he growled, fed up with your teasing when he was visibly uncomfortable.
You stood up and grabbed his arm. "No, no, I was just surprised," you promised, trying to hide a grin. "I'd love to stay in your room, Matt."
He stared, looking at your hand on his arm. He was quite muscular you noticed then. "Fine," he said, pulling away. "But you go to bed when I go. And you get up when I do. No getting up in the middle of the night unless it's an emergency. Understand?"
You nodded. He turned around and walked into his room then, shutting the door. You didn't know what he was doing, it was too early for bed, but you ignored it and went to finish your dinner.
After dinner, you went to take a nice hot shower before bed. When you emerged in your pajamas (which were basically leggings and a tee shirt) you found Matt sitting on the couch, waiting for you. He turned when he heard you walk in, his face scanning over you, but no emotion showed.
"You ready for bed then?" he asked, standing up. He'd gotten into sweat pants and a tee shirt as well. He looked nice in lounge wear, you thought.
"Yeah, let's go," you said, waiting for him to go first. Something about going in there first seemed wrong since you'd never really been in it. You'd only peeked in while you passed by.
You followed him in and got in bed. You felt a little strange, but it was warm. "Hey, Matt?" you asked.
A low grunt came in reply.
"Why did you come in here and stay for a while before bed?" you asked.
He didn't say anything for a moment. "I changed the sheets," he mumbled later.
Your brow creased in confusion. "Why?" you pressed.
"I didn't want you to have to sleep in a bed with dog fur all over it," he said defensively.
That surprised you. Despite his tone, it was a sweet gesture. "Oh, thank you," you said then fell silent.
Some time passed and you couldn't really sleep, though Matt was long gone. You assumed it was just because it was different, and that you'd get used to it later. Beside you, Matt stirred and sat up, half asleep, and pulled off his shirt. He laid back down with his back facing you. You figured he got too hot and thought nothing of it.
That is, until you noticed his bandages were missing. You always had wondered what they covered up, and you began debating on what to do. You knew you wouldn't be able to sleep anyways, and so you quietly got out of bed and walked around to his side. The room was dimly lit by the heaters, but your eyes were adjusting to it. You carefully leaned down to inspect him.
He had a large scar on his chest, rugged and obvious even in the near dark. Your hand ghosted barely over the top, feeling the rough and risen skin.
"______, what did I say about getting out of bed?" his low voice growled and you jumped. He grabbed your wrist and pulled you onto the bed, his violet eyes flaring at you.
You immediately began apologizing and rambling about your reasoning until he told you very sternly to shut up. You shook sitting there in front of him, afraid of this man who you had felt almost friendly with before.
"Any reason why you were touching my chest?" Matt snapped harshly at you. His hand gripped your wrist so tight you thought he'd break it.
"I wanted...I wanted to see what you hid under your bandages..." you whispered, sounding ashamed.
"Why didn't you just ask?" he hissed, obviously very angry with you and you couldn't blame him.
"I just...I didn't know...I thought maybe you were sensitive about it..." you mumbled, looking away. He reached out and forced you to face him.
"And if I was you thought the best way to learn would be to spy on me while I slept?" he said sarcastically, pulling you back to the other side of the bed. "Stupid girl...."
"I'm not stupid," you said, incredibly indignant about being called so. "I was just curious. I wanted to know what it was. I apologized."
"Well now you know," he said, shaking his head at you.
There was a moment of silence that felt like an eternity before you broke it with another question to make him angry.
"So how did you get it?"
His eyes snapped up to you and he couldn't believe you even asked. "That's none of your damn business. Besides you couldn't handle the answer anyways."
You frowned, now more curious than before. "I want to know," you said, your eyes drifting back down to his chest. "I'm using my second question."
He gave you a strange look. "What question? What're you talking about?"
"You said I could ask you three questions about yourself and you would tell me the truth," you reminded him. "I used the first for your name. I'm using my second for this."
His eyes looked away, thinking for a long moment. He was a man of his word, but he knew what you'd say, how you would react to what he told you. But he also knew you'd  never leave him alone until he said, so he gave in unwillingly.
       "Fine, but just remember your stuck with me here for all of winter so you've brought this knowledge on yourself."
You paused wondering what he meant by saying all that, then slowly nodded. You felt anxious now and you were ready to know more truth to this mysterious man.
"One day a few years ago, I was going to tell this man- a poacher- that he needed to leave, and he pulled a knife on me. I caught his hand but he sliced my chest badly. He ran after that and I almost bled out before I made it back here. Thankfully my brother was there with me, he fixed it, but the scar looks awful so I hide it. End of story."
"Woah," you said, though you were a little confused. "But why is that so bad? Why'd you say I couldn't handle that?"
Matt sighed, sitting up and running a hand through his hair. "I was hoping you wouldn't ask...I don't come up here in the winters to get away from civilization or anything of that," he began. "I have an unofficial job up here that needs to be taken care of. There are poachers that hunt up here, killing off our country's animals illegally. It pisses me off that not much is done of it in this area so I take matters into my own hands.
"When I go outside during the day. I'm searching for any signs of people or of harmed animals. If I find a poacher I usually tell them they have to leave, and if they don't...I make them wish they had." He glanced at you to see if you understood what he meant. "Nothing too serious, you know, I steal their rations so they starve, destroy their maps so they get lost, take their matches and lighters for no warmth. Then they die. Then they're out of the way."
You stared dumbly at him, realization dawning on you then and you scrambled away from him. "You-you kill people."
"I kill poachers," he corrected, moving toward you. "There's a difference."
"They're humans, they're alive!" you said, nearly falling off his bed in fear. "And you kill them."
"If you saw what they do you'd understand," he said. "I'll show you. I'll take you and you can see what sort of god awful things they do to animals. It's inhumane."
"I don't want to see!" you yelled. "I want to leave! I want to go back to the real world and turn you in, you murderer!"
Matt grabbed your wrist and pulled you back on to the middle of the bed before you could move. He straddled you, pinning you down and looking angry. His scar was inches away from you now but you could only look away from him.
"You asked for the truth," he hissed. "I told you what you wanted and that you couldn't leave. And if you think for one second that I will just let you run to the police, you're wrong. What I'm doing is saving wildlife and preserving my land. People should be thanking me. I'm protecting what hikers like you want to see. Now, I've been tracking a poacher and I've asked him to leave already and he hasn't. I just want you to see what kind of things he does to animals, so we're going tomorrow morning, understand?"
You nodded quickly in fear, wanting him to move off of you and let you think for a moment. He did so and after noticing your uncomfortableness, got out of bed.
"I think you need to be alone," he said. "I'll be on the couch." He walked out the door and closed it, though you could hear his muffled cursing anyways.
You laid awake for a long time, hearing Matt stir around and thinking about what you had learned. You couldn't wrap your mind around him being able to kill people without any reservation, because they kill animals. You knew it was wrong and you hated any cruelty to animals, but you weren't sure if you'd kill because of it. When your eyes finally drifted shut, your dreams were plagued with scary ideas about Matt turning on you. You couldn't stay with him any longer, you were going to run away.
You quietly got up the next morning, taking your stuff and getting dressed. You creeped into the living room where Matt was asleep on the couch and you went to the front door and began to open it.
"That's a bad idea," his voice said, making you jump. You turned around and looked at him peering at you through his half closed eyes. "Winter is starting to set in completely. It won't get any where above freezing for months. You'll die out there."
You shut the door and looked at him. "I don't want to be here with you," you stated. "I'm getting out of here one way or another. I'm exposing you to the police when I get back."
He stared at you unemotionally for a minute. "Fine then," he said. "If you still want to leave after I've shown you what I'm fighting against, I'll do my best to arrange for it. I can't promise, but I'll try, okay?"
You nodded, knowing this was your chance. You didn't care what he said or what you saw, you were going to get out of here regardless.