Shift-

This is a sample of the book. If you would like to read the whole story then please look this up on Amazon or click on the link at the end of the last sample chapter. Thank you!

This book won't be posted on here anymore but if you would like to read some of my on going and completed work then check out Until Dawn. http://www.wattpad.com/story/3709147-until-dawn

Jessica slowly moved her finger to the little black button and sighed as the window rolled down. She put on her best fake smile and greeted her Mom when she approached the car.

"We're so proud of you," said Lilly, wiping a rogue tear from her cheek.

Jonathan wrapped his arm around his wife and leaned into the window. "If you have any problems just let us know. I'll have people up there in a second."

"I'll be fine Dad."

"Okay well call us when you get there,” said Jonathan.

She gave them each a kiss on the cheek before backing out of the driveway and heading down the street. The rearview mirror was placed perfectly so she could smile at them the entire time before finally leaving the comforts of her community.

As soon as they were gone from sight she allowed her smile to drop and morph into a frown. It was hard leaving her friends and family but she needed to do this for the sake of her sanity.

She would miss her brother and sister since they were all close in age and grew up as best friends. Jessica was twenty, Robert was nineteen, and Sophia was eighteen. The two of them came out with their mom's black hair while she had caramel colored that came from her father's side.

Jessica was the first person from all the families to go to college out of perimeters of the four packs. The school was about a four hour drive from her house and she couldn't wait to get there.

Maybe after having sometime to herself she would finally figure out a way to tell her parents what kind of freak she was. Maybe, she would even come to terms with being an odd shifter and the word freak would no longer cross her mind. Only time could tell and at this point she was going to take as much of it as she needed.

Growing up was easy. Her family was well liked and she was the pride and joy of her large pack. Her father was an amazing pack leader and so was her Mom. They were fair but firm when it came to the protection of their people. Plus, nobody wanted to mess with a pack that was mixed with tiger shifters.

It couldn't be helped that they started to mate with the wolf shifters like her parents had. To everyone's surprise it was a gamble on what kind of shifter offspring you would get. Her brother Robert, the next in line to be Alpha, was a tiger. Her sister Sophia had dark hair but shifted into a pretty golden wolf.

This brought her back to the brooding thoughts of her being a freak.

"I hate this so much," she said, sighing loudly and gripping the steering wheel.

She had shifted on her eighteenth birthday like all normal shifters do but hers was a bit different. About six months later she started to notice changes. At first they were subtle but soon it was so noticeable that she could no longer go running with her pack unless she had her emotions under complete control.

She started to distance herself from her friends and family and they didn't have a clue as to why. Since she wasn't going to be pack leader she finally decided that going away to College was the best solution. It wasn't any easy one to make because, no matter how much she hated herself, she could never hate her family.