n i n e

"How would you feel about coming over?" Harry asks late Friday afternoon, sidling up to me casually as he tugs his arms into the sleeves of his coat. It's just past five, and the YSL office is slowly beginning to empty, leaving just me and a few other employees as I make one last copy of some sales rates, waiting impatiently for the slow copier.

Harry's been in the office all day for some affiliation with Marcus Chamberlin, and when he hasn't been either signing things or in meetings, he's been using every available second to bother me. Whether it's using other office phones to prank call my extension, or forcing me to make countless copies of pointless documents, I'm just about finished with his practical jokes for the day. 

Technically, I shouldn't even have to do desk work since I'm a photographer, but I'm available most days, so Marcus has made me a temporary receptionist while YSL searches for a permanent one. Now, I answer phones and make copies - two extremely fun tasks, obviously.

"To your apartment? Now?" I ask, momentarily distracted by his fingers drumming on the copier in a repetitive fashion, rings clinking on the plastic.

"Penthouse, actually," he corrects causally, hiding a smile. "And just as friends," he quickly clarifies. "I want to get to know you better."

My stomach twists involuntarily and my cheeks flush. "Um, I'm not sure. It's been a long day..." For one, I wasn't sure if this was the best idea. Second of all, I was really just feeling like lying in bed and watching the whole second season of friends with Katie tonight rather than actually making an effort to be social.

"Aw, it'll be fun," he teases, punching my arm lightly. "We could even go somewhere fun instead...like laser lag," he suggests suddenly, eyes lighting up.

"Laser tag?" I ask again. "Doesn't that place close at like seven? I mean...isn't it more for like, ten year old boy birthday parties than childish adults?"

"They're open until ten on Fridays and Saturdays," Harry recites knowingly. "And no way, laser tag is honestly the best first date venue."

"Not a first date," I say.

"Right. But still, let's go, it'll be amazing, I promise."

"But I'm in heels-"

"Forget the heels. I'm driving."

-

Laser Land is basically the defined heaven of any ten to twelve year old boy on this planet. The air smelled of greasy pizza, sweaty socks, and that horrible body spray middle schoolers are obsessed with. But, to a kid, there was no flaw in that combination. And by the awed look on Harry's face, I was afraid he might be considering this very Laser Land location his heaven as well. Although, I, on the other hand, in my heels and dress skirt, felt horribly out of place.

"Welcome to Laser Land, how can I help you?" A middle aged cashier with fiery red hair and exceptionally dark lipstick drawls in a monotone as we approach the counter.

"Two tickets to laser tag please. And I have one of those punch cards too," Harry says, pulling a beat-up card with two punches in it out of his wallet and handing it over to the cashier.

The woman frowns down at it. "I'm sorry, sir. This expired in 2007, you're going to have to just pay. That'll be twenty dollars."

"Twenty? I could have gotten half off-"

"Sir, it's a long line. You're going to have to either pay or step out of line," she interrupts, stretching out her hand for Harry's money. "Cash or credit?"

"I don't see an expiration date on this card. I'm going to have to see the manager," Harry snaps.

"You're looking at her," the woman narrows her eyes and unfolds her hand, repeating her request. "Cash or credit?"