Chapter Seven

Harry woke up to dark skies and wet windows. His blanket was tucked up to his chin and the hallway allowed a dim light in his room through the bottom of the door, just enough so he could see the shadows of the furniture and the book cases.

As comfortable as he was in his bed sheets, he wondered how he got here in the first place. Had he been tired from doing homework and decided to tuck himself in? Or maybe he had just fallen asleep on the couch after a filling dinner and his mum had lazily dragged him up to his room...

Harry furrowed his eyebrows as he remembered wanting to be alone in his room when he arrived from school. He licks his lips and closes his eyes in an attempt to bring any memory back. He had not seen Louis in days, and oh, wait.

Louis.

Harry’s eyes snap open and he sucks in a sharp breath. There were ghosts in his house, they lived here, they watched him and his family.

He scrambles out of bed and flips on the switch of the room, not very keen on the idea of knowing he’s being watched in the dark, and quickly scans his room with wide eyes.

He’s convinced he’s alone in his room before he hears a faint knock on his door, causing him to gasp in surprise and nearly trip. He balances himself and stands frozen three feet away from the door. He actually could not register the thoughts running through his mind right now. Just the night before he’d been informed of hauntings happening in the mansion and now it’s past midnight but before dawn and somebody is at his bedroom door.

The shadows of two feet shifting awkwardly on the bottom of his door catch Harry’s attention and slowly he shuffles towards it, reaching a hand out and carefully turning the knob.

His heartbeat is loud in his ears and his breathing is faltered, but he knows he’s experienced too much to be afraid, so he musters up any and all courage and throws the door open, and oh, he should have expected this.

“H-hi Harry... are you well, now?” A shy Louis whispers with a worried frown etched onto his face. Harry knows he’s staring and he should look away from Louis’ baby blue eyes but he can’t find it in himself to respond properly when there is a spirit standing in front of him, a spirit that has been deceased for years, and has been roaming the property that now belongs to Harry and his family, but this spirit... this spirit is worried about him. This beautiful spirit cares about Harry and his well being.

“Jesus, Lou. I just found out you aren’t even alive, I-I don’t know what I’m feeling right now.” He responds exasperatedly. He’s about to continue before he notices the tears gathering in the smaller boy’s eyes, watching as they slowly slide down his pale cheeks.

“Will you forgive me?” He sniffles and blinks, causing more tears to flow, and stares intensely into the taller boy’s eyes, awaiting his reply anxiously.

Harry feels himself nodding and tenses when he realizes he’s laid a hand on Louis’ shoulder, pulling him closer until he gently rests his head on his broad shoulder, his chilly breathe tickling Harry’s neck, and his small arms wrap cautiously around his thin waist, and Harry feels him relax and melt into the embrace when he holds him against to his chest, one hand rubbing at his lower back and the other laid behind Louis’ head, gently running his fingers through the thin strands of hair.

“Of course,” he says into his ear, lightly kissing his temple, “but I want to know, I need to know what happened to you.”

Louis tightens his grip on the back of Harry’s shirt before releasing him from the hug. “Okay, but not here. Let’s go outside.”

Confusion crosses Harry’s features, “Why would you want to go outside, Lou? It’s dark out and it’s nice and warm in my room. I thought you’d be comfortable here since you lived...” He trails off as Louis shakes his head and shakily grabs his hand.

“Please.” His voice cracks as he pleads, the normally loud and ear-ringing melody is now a broken whisper, and Harry knows he wouldn’t forgive himself if he upset Louis further more, so he allows himself to be led through the silent house and to the swing out front.

***

“Take a seat.” Louis says while removing is hand from Harry’s grip to gesture at the swing. Harry smiles slightly and shakes his head while pushing Louis gently towards it, silently inviting him to sit instead.

Louis obliges and watches as the younger boy sits in front of him at his feet, looking up and waiting for conversation to rouse.

“What would you like to know?” Louis says softly while resting his chin on his palm and leaning his elbow on his knee.

Harry sighs and wrings his hands together, searching the ground as if he could think of something to say by looking at dirt. “How did you die?”

He locks his eyes on a small pebble, ashamed of asking something so bluntly. But really, how do you ask some one nicely how they had died?

Louis presses his lips together and takes in a deep breath, lifting Harry’s chin to look into his eyes, “It’s okay.”

Harry nods and gives him a pointed look as a sign to continue, listening intently as he begins speaking.

“I was a victim of murder, along with my sisters,” He says quietly, averting his eyes to Harry’s hands, “I was beaten unconscious and left to die in my bedroom.”

It’s quiet for a minute before Harry breathes shakily and grabs Louis’ hand, “Who... who did such a thing to you?”

Louis squeezes his hand, “My step-father and my mum.” he whispers. Harry’s eyes fill with tears, the thought of Louis being treated so brutally brings a lump in his throat, causing his next words to sound choked.

“Why don’t you have bruises?”

“Your spirit is just the image of how you looked at the age you were before you passed. If I looked the way I did as I died, you probably wouldn’t be speaking to me right now. I thank God for that.” he replies with a soft smile, brushing the fallen tear on Harry’s cheek.

“B-but you’re solid... you drank tea and you’re holding my hand.” he sniffles with a confused glint in his eyes.

“Ghosts are just like you... we just can’t die. God gave me the opportunity to hold your hand because we were meant to.” He brings Harry’s hand to his lips and kisses each knuckle gently.

Harry smiles in return and decides he’s heard enough for that night since his head is spinning with thoughts and images he doesn’t want to imagine.

“You’re so beautiful.” He whispers while keeping his gaze on Louis’ ocean resembling eyes.

Louis leans forward to kiss his forehead, “You have no idea how gorgeous you are... now get ready for school, love. I’ll be here when you get back.”