One Enchanted Night - Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Chris felt very disorientated. After going through the murky portal they rode for about 5 minutes, or it felt like five minutes though a thick darkness towards a ray of light in the distance.

"I see a hole made of light getting brighter Gina, can you see it to?"

"Of course I can Chris, I am a vampire for that matter."

"Be still wolf, can't you feel the oppressing power and the whole tunnel is made up of it? Henry is getting stronger each year by the feel of this portal. You better watch out for that one Gina, he could mean trouble for you."

"You worry too much Nkosi, I have been looking after myself for the last two hundred years and nothing has got me as of yet."

Personally she didn't want to be the one to take care of Henry if he does prove to be a problem in the near future. Her powers are stronger, but he could be a problem if the darkness in him persists.

Nkosi just gave a sigh; she doesn't know that the Magi have watched her for the last two hundred years. The moment they came to know of her existence a task force was assembled to protect her from harm. Nkosi had been trained for that service from very young, but she couldn't be mad at Gina, who was so completely unaware of the situation.

The light was getting very close by now and they entered another murky portal. On the other side they exited into a woodland area with trees that resembled large oaks, but the size was where the resemblance ended. The leaves on the trees were a dark purple colour. The Hummer was standing on a wide path that looked as if wagons travelled through there, with wagon wheel tracks going every which way.

"Gina, how is the electronics?"

"Just fine Jean-Claude. I thought all electronics get busted up on this side?"

"Well I have something hidden on the Hummer that was engineered with magic to protect the Hummer from outside magic interference."

"Wow, that is so cool. Can I get one of those?"

"What ever do you need it for Chris?"

"Well I would like to use it to keep my sister from teleporting into my room at home and messing with my stuff."

"Well little wolf, with what does she mess?"

"That Nkosi, is something I would rather not share, it is something only males will understand."

Nkosi suddenly realised that Gina was stopping. Chris started opening his mouth to make a comment.

"Before you start, Chris, we need to let Nkosi send a signal, otherwise the army would probably harm us."

"How probably Gina?"

Chris looked a little white in the face.

"The odds are 99 to one. Why do you think people don't come into the Neatherrealms. The South and the North Fey are at war. If you don't send a message, the North automatically categories you as from the South Court, which is very dangerous, if in enemy territory."

"Ok, Nkosi, get out and do your mojo, we don't have all day."

"What the hell, Gina, how can you be in the daylight?"

"It's easy Chris, this sun is not like our sun and we are not cursed in this realm. As easy as that."

"And another thing, why is it day here, but night at home?"

"This place runs at its own time. It is slower than earth, which means that you take longer to age on this side, but that is if the fey will let you stay."

Nkosi got out of the Hummer. She started making her ceremonial circles and taking out the right herbs from her sangoma kit.

She spread the herbs around the circle, bent down and closed the circle. She murmured a few jumbled words. The magic built up in the circle and when Nkosi couldn't hold it anymore, she gave a yell, broke the circle with her foot and sent the magic in the direction of the fey city in the distance on the side of the mountain, which you could see from their vantage point.

"Well, if they couldn't feel the magic, the whole forest and beyond definitely heard that yell."

"Nobody asked for your opinion, Chris. Get into the Hummer, we need to go." Gina proceeded to the car and got in, with the others trailing her.

"Now is the time to go meet destiny. Hopefully he has a sense of humour."