Stuck on an Island with a Jerk

Prologue

   It only hurt for a second. I let my eyes slowly shut and stopped struggling because I knew there was no point. I thought about the past and how it had effected my future. I wondered if having my mom and dad be here would have changed things. I thought about my friends. They had been there for me since the beginning, and I didn't even have the chance to say goodbye.

   I opened my eyes to see my father mouthing something to me. I couldn't hear him or make out the word. Was it feet? Fit? I looked at him in confusion, then finally understood what he was saying.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   The boat party was two days away and I had so much to do before that. School ended a week ago and usually the next week was when we all took Daren's boat out around some of the private islands in the Bahamas. It was a way for all of us to get together and have fun, since we were all off to college next year. Everyone was excited to hang out with one another, even if some didn't get along with others.

   I got a beach bag together with extra swim suits, towels, clothes, hoodies, and bathroom stuff. We stayed in a beach house for basically half the summer and it wasn't too shabby. It was right along the beach with no other houses around, so we couldn't get in trouble for being too loud. For me, it was a break from the pressures of school and all of the drama. My goal was to have fun at all costs, even if I had to deal with a jerk or two.

 I placed my bag next to my bed and got out my phone. There was a message from Sadie explaining how excited she was about the trip. Sadie had been my best friend since middle school and we were like sisters. However, we didn't look alike at all. Sadie had silky black hair that flowed freely down her back, and her skin had a natural sun kissed tan. I on the other hand, had wavy brown hair with a few random blonde pieces, and I was terribly pale. 

I replied with a simple "me too!" and then realized that I was going to be late for work. The only thing that sucked about the trip was having to pay for it. While I was in high school, I got a job at a dress shop in the mall. They paid pretty good money, and it was a popular store. I grabbed my keys off the counter and headed out the door. I got into the drivers side of my car, and pulled down the mirror to make sure my hair was decent. I pulled into the mall parking lot with my black dress and black stilettos on. The clicking along the pavement followed me into the mall, as I left my little blue beetle.

   Even though my car was little, I still loved it. It was my sixteenth birthday present from my aunt, and it was honestly a complete surprise. My aunt had been taking care of me since I was little, which made me appreciate a lot of the things she has done for me. I vowed to return the favor one day, because she was an amazing woman.

   I scanned my key outside the shop and stepped through the swinging doors with my brown waves bouncing in my face. I walked up to the register, making sure to check myself in, as I began ringing up customers. A few of the customers asked stupid questions like "Is this genuine cotton?" or "Is this bag made of real snake skin?" First of all, I hate killing animals and second, on the label it says fake.

"Hey Katie!"

 I turned around to see Sadie, Darren, and Daniel standing in front of the register. Sadie of course had her hand locked with Darren's, and Daniel just stood there looking like a third wheel. Sadie and Darren weren't together or anything, but they liked to make Daniel feel uncomfortable in public. I always felt like there was something hidden between them, but I didn't want to make assumptions.

"Will you guys stop with the hand thing already?" He hissed.

"Why?" Sadie asked innocently. "Does it make you feel uncomfortable?"

"Yes," he stated. "It makes me look like a tag along."

Both Sadie and Darren looked at each other and smiled.

They turned around to look at Daniel and said at the same time, "Good."

I couldn't help but laugh as Daniel gave me a death glare.  After my laughing fit, I brought my attention back to Sadie and Darren.

"So, what are you guys doing here?" I asked smiling.

"Oh just checking out dresses for Sunday!" She squealed.

"You're coming right?" Darren asked half smiling.

"Yeah," I said while Sadie jumped up and down. "I wouldn't miss that much fun."

Of course after I said that Daniel snorted and Darren gave me an awkward look.

"Well I guess I'll see you Sunday," Darren mumbled while rubbing the back of head.

I gave him a weak smile as I checked out Sadie's plum colored dress.

"Yeah see you guys Sunday," I replied.

I glared at Daniel before he walked out the door.

I sighed and looked down at all the clothes I had to fold. Daniel and I were strictly enemies. We never got along, even around our friends. His stuck up attitude always dampened my mood. I smiled to myself in that moment because on the trip I would be able to annoy the crap out of him.

After working from 11:00 till 6:00, I figured I would stop by my aunt's shop to look around. Maybe I would get lucky and find a really nice pair of shoes. I took the elevator up to my aunt's little boutique and starred out the glass windows. I walked in and immediately received a warm smile from her.

"Hey girly, what have you been up to?" She asked with a bright smile.

"Just looking for some beach clothes," I replied. "We leave on Sunday!"

She rolled her eyes playfully and said, "Be careful, you never know what can happen."

I smiled back while picking up a cute zebra print shirt off one of the racks.

"I know. I will be extra careful."

 She smirked at me and walked away, leaving me to browse the shoe isle. As I was going down the isle, I spotted a pair of cheetah print flats with a red bow on them. I quickly looked for my size and saw that they were at the very top. I balanced on the tips of my toes, and pulled the box off the shelf, hitting my head in the process. I thanked the shoe gods for having my size, and ran up to the clerk to pay for them.

This was going to be one heck of a summer.

This chapter has been edited! Heyy guys sry if this chapter wasn't so fun. It's the first one and I know you'll love it once some action starts :) please read vote and comment!!