Tie Your Red Ribbons

My vision is blurry but finally focuses. There is a girl on stage doing a solo. Holy crap! Is that me? Seems as if I'm the only one on the stage. I see myself dancing ever-so-graceful and I notice a crucial detail. I'm dancing my absolute favorite ballet, The Red Shoes. I'm not in a Company, yet, but I look like I've been in a company my entire life. The flawlessness of my dancing seems so effortless; the best I have ever seen myself dance.

My white dress only makes the show seem more flawless. It slowly flows with my every movement. The audience watches me and only me.

It comes to the part of my solo with the fouettés. I cringe as I watch something I have personally struggled with for months. I start my turning sequence; as soon I begin to hopefully land...

The bell rings.

"Girl. If you don't wake up." Chloe says. A groan escapes my mouth.

"What happened?" I ask.

"You fell asleep, during AP History.... the class where we have our first major test in. Oh, and you did the same thing in Trig." Chloe growls.

"Ok. Alright let's go." I get up fast. I bobble a little bit from head rush.

I grab my back pack a follow her to her locker.

"What is up with you? You haven't got much sleep lately."

"After school, I have dance. When I go home, I do my dance homework when-"

"Ok. What is dance homework?"

"Understanding the different types of ballets, knowing the best dancers, determine which company you'll be apart of..."

"That sounds fun and horrible at the same time."

"I have to if I want to make it anywhere in the business." I shrug.

"What companies are you thinking of?"

"I wanna go big so maybe American?"

"That's huge do you have a safety school?"

"For safety I was thinking Joffrey then Houston."

"Ah. You thing big. I like it." She nods.

Chloe doesn't dance like I do. It feels like everyone takes that one dance class when they are like, three, and 1/8 children ask their parents to take another class.

But Chloe was different. She did the same thing but for tennis. She asked her mom to take and I quote, "the swingy thingy and the yellow balls" lessons. And somehow her mom knew what she was talking about.

When she found out the Northern Missouri High School we were attending to didn't have a tennis court she stood in front of the doors of the school (and by standing I mean handcuffed her self to the door) until someone built one and made a tennis program. She stayed their for ten days and I was happy to be the one bringing her food and blankets.

We've been five friends ever since we were five years old.

It's hard for us even today. Our apartments aren't the nicest, we don't have the most up-to-date technology, and the hardest detail...

We are African Americans.

That just made it 90% harder to be appreciated in this world.

Ever since we were little we made a pact to make a difference.

And now we are here.

"Are you ready?" I ask.

"Tess?" She looks pass my shoulder.

"Yeah?" She looks like I have a finger growing out of my neck.

"Someone's waiting for you at you locker..." She gives me that you best friend smirk.

I look at my locker down the hallway.

There he is. James Morgan. The most super hot, cutest, most amazing, most handsome football star ever. So they say. I don't see it.

It seems like there is always a cute football player in every story.

But trust me, mine is different. So I casually walk to my locker and open it ignoring James who is staring right at me.

"Uh. Hello? Anyone here?" He says standing closer to me.

"Hi James." I sigh as I if I don't want to talk to him. You know. Just simple hard to get.

"You know you love me." He says with his famous cocky smirk.

I scoff, "Since when."

"Since I asked for you to tutor me in Science?"

"Oh please you have all A's."

"Except for Science where I have a C."

"How? It's the easiest class like, ever!" I chuckle.

"For you! You practically a genius!"

"I have to gave good grades or else I'm not aloud to be in the Co."

"They made that a rule?"

"No." I quickly reply, "She made it a rule."

He gives me a confusing look.

"My mom."

Practically everyone in this school knows I can dance. Except for maybe the potheads that hangout in the bathroom all day and party all night.

"Yeah well I can't play any sports until I get this C to at least a B."

"Can't you get someone else." I beg.

"Nope. All of the other people in science that have A's are either nerds, dorks, or girls who drool over me. Your all I got." I don't say anything so he continues, "Pleaseeeeee?"

I stop fake-organizing the things in my locker to look at his eyes. His amazing hazel eyes that capture any type of light that comes their way. His eyes look gorgeous but are also filled with something else. Is that- is that desperation I see?

I roll my eyes, "Fine."

"Fine?"

"Yes, I'll tutor you." I groan out loud purposely.

"Thank you." He surprises me with a kiss on the cheek.

And after ALL that, I kept my cool.

I smiled back at him looking annoying. He frowns.

"Nothing? Normally that makes most girls go insane..."

"Yeah. Well I'm definitely not most girls." I slam my locker and walk the other way with my own version of the cocky smirk.

Well done, Tessa.

Oh god, my first story in a long time. I started something new. Also, I had a new part of my book where I mention the songs that came to mind.

Songs for the chapter:

Stitches - Shawn Mendes
Ex's and Oh's - Elle King

If you see any typos, PLEASE don't hesitate to tell me. It will only make my writing better.

Until next time,

~ TrinityBBrown