Nosson Dovid Rabinowich: An Amazing Succot at Honors Haven Resort and Spa

Once again, "Destinations", directed by Yossi Zablocki, sponsored a wonderful program this past Succot at one of the most beautiful hotels in the Catskill Mountains in New York. One of the highlights of any of Desinations' wonderful programs is the various lectures offered by prominent rabbis and scholars. Rabbi Dr. Nathan David Rabinowich, a noted rabbi and scholar was invited to deliver two lectures during the first and last days. They were well-received, especially since the topic dealt with a 'curious' but unknown aspect of the Chasam Sofer (1762-1839): his personal life. Dr. Rabinowich showed how many men in the Chasam Sofer's family either did not marry at all or married at a very late age. Some of the Shuddichim are very difficult to comprehend: for example - the Chasam Sofer, at the age of twenty-four, married a childless widow who was forty-two years old! Dr. Nosson Dovid Rabinowich also compared the three wives of the Chasam Sofer and the Chasam Sofer's relationship to each one. At the end of the lecture, he discussed the fact that the Chasam Sofer remarried at the age of fifty and begot twelve children. Simply amazing. Dr. Rabinowich also discussed the Chasam Sofer's relationship with his six daughters, his father-in-law, the holy Rabbi Akiva Eiger, his parents and his Rebbe, Rov Nosson Adler. The lectures will continue, G-d willing, on Chanukkah.

To learn more about the Chasam Sofer, see Rabbi Dr. Nathan David Rabinowich's book , "Safra v'Sayfa" . To order a copy, please call 347-309-8485.