Chapter 25: Where Do We Go From Here?

They didn't have much time to talk. There was a show that night and they were supposed to meet the Earps. Sheriff Behan had even gotten them a special balcony seat. Violet was certain that it was an attempt at a bribe to get Wyatt to go back into being a law man again. 

Violet's hair was done up beautifully for having done it herself and she donned a dark green evening dress. She was never one for the severely low necklines that dance hall girls tended to wear, nor was she a fan of the vermilion red dresses. 

Down below, the Cowboys were raising all kinds of hell. Violet had to wonder why they were even at a show such as this anyway. It didn't seem at all like something any of them would be interested in. Perhaps they were just that bored or were looking to cause trouble... the latter was the most likely in Violet's mind. 

"This is so much fun! We haven't been to a show in years," Allie exclaimed from Violet's right. Violet had settled closest to the stage. She hadn't imagined that she would get along overly well with Mattie considering that she was addicted to laudanum but Allie seemed nice and so did Louisa. It was really disappointing that a man as dedicated and good as Wyatt ended up with a wife who was high more often than not.

Doc settled in next to her in the cushy yet somehow still uncomfortable chairs and slid his arm around her subtly as to not arouse too much suspicion. 

"Wyatt, this is Mayor Clum and his wife," came a voice from behind her. It was Marshall White. It seemed to be another pathetic attempt at getting Wyatt to rejoin the law force. Violet turned away and rolled her eyes slightly. This was becoming asinine. 

Suddenly, the lights dimmed and the show was about to begin. Violet gave Doc a slightly anxious sidelong look. She wasn't sure what this meant. Though, his arm around her did encourage her. He wasn't being distant...  but she was certain that he had a lot on his mind. 

She hadn't even been paying any attention to the show. Instead, she was looking at Doc. A shot rang out, causing her hand to immediately move to the holster she kept her gun in out of instinct. One of the Cowboys had shot at the man who had been juggling or rather attempting to juggle. He wasn't very good at it. 

Her heart was racing the whole time that they were in the theater. Truthfully, she wasn't interested in any of it though perhaps she would have been if her mind hadn't been preoccupied at the thoughts of the pressing conversation she needed to have with Doc. 

"Is your soul for sale, darling?" She heard Doc whisper in her ear. His voice brought her out of her reverie. There was someone dressed at Satan parading about the stage. It was strange. She tilted her head slightly. 

Doc had been looking worse and worse in the short time that they'd come to Tombstone. It was worrying her. What would she do without him?

Before she knew it, the whole thing was over and they were on their way out of the theater. Violet knew that the Earps would likely want to go to The Oriental. And if they wanted to go there, then Doc would likely follow though she really wished he would get some bedrest.

Violet pulled Doc aside before they went to the saloon. She looked in his eyes and was sad to see that they were rimmed with red and he still looked clammy and pale even with the cool nighttime breeze. 

"Doc... I need you to be straight with me-" Violet didn't have enough time to finish her sentence before Doc had pulled her into a searing kiss. She closed her eyes and melted into his embrace. This answered all her questions.

"We're okay...?" She asked tentatively once they parted.

"We're okay..."

It's short but I'm working on it! This is a little difficult to get back in as I'd forgotten where I was in the story. But I hope that you enjoy it! I'll try and have the next chapter up as soon as I can.