Chapter 8: Dodge City

All heads turned to get a good look at the man who had declared himself a Marshall. Violet had heard of him before. He was quite a legend out in the west. 

        He had a thick, wiry mustache the completely covered his upper lip and light, piercing eyes. There were laugh lines around his mouth and wrinkles at the corners of his eyes from squinting to shut out the sunlight. He looked kind, in a word. He was indeed handsome but nothing compared to Doc. Wyatt had a certain... rugged look about him that some women may have found attractive but Violet preferred the suave debonair visage Doc presented.

        Violet tossed the gun she'd been holding to the side. She didn't want to be in trouble with the law... At least not this soon after she moved to Kansas. Right then she figured it was hard to tell who was the felon in all this. She looked over at Doc who had lowered his gun and gave it a fancy twirl before setting it back in its holster.

        "Are you alright, ma'am?" She heard someone ask. Violet's mind didn't register that Wyatt was talking to her. She was too busy watching Doc.

        "Hmm? Oh, yes I'm quite fine." She smiled courteously. He returned the smile, it only being visible through the slight uplift of his mustache. Wyatt turned and finished apprehending the men.

        "That's Wyatt Earp. He's a legend out here..." She whispered to Doc. The couple sat down, closer than before. Doc was silent for a moment. It was clear that he was upset but Violet couldn't fathom why.

        "Don't you ever do anything that foolish again, you hear me?" Doc gripped her hand tightly. She flinched a little, not expecting that.

        "I don't reckon I quite understand your meaning..."

        "You could have been shot. You could have died." He sounded genuinely concerned for her safety. This was... so unlike him.

        "Doc are you... are you worried...?"

        "We'll discuss this later darlin."

        Violet nodded and just let it be. Still, she'd seen a change in Doc that she wasn't expecting. The people in their car were still staring at them and it made Violet pretty uncomfortable. She really felt like a fish out of water. Not only was Doc giving her more attention than ever before but she'd nearly gotten shot.

        Several hours later, the couple exited the train with their bags. Doc's hand was placed lightly on the small of her back. They must have really looked like a real married couple.

        "Oh look, Doc. It's Wyatt again... isn't he amazing?" Violet asked in awe as they spotted Wyatt leaving another car.

        "Indeed..." he replied, seeming irritated. Did he not like her admiration for Wyatt?

        "Good evening, ma'am." Wyatt said, tipping his hat at her. Violet smiled and nodded at him.

        "Name's Wyatt Earp. I just wanted to thank ya for helpin' me out back there." He said, holding his hand out for Doc to shake.

        "Forgive me if I don't shake hands." Doc smiled a bit, albeit stiffly.  Wyatt withdrew his hand, awkwardly. The tension in the air thickened so Violet jumped into action.

        "I'm Violet Holliday and this is my husband, Doc. It's really a pleasure to meet you." She smiled at Wyatt, doing a small bow.

        "It's a pleasure, Mrs. Holliday." 

        Violet blushed a bit. She'd heard a lot about Wyatt. But she never thought he'd be so kind. It really was quite a shock. She was expecting all the men out there to be as crass as the land they lived on. 

        "Please, call me Violet. I dislike formalities." Her eyes flickered over to Doc who seemed to be deep in thought as always. 

        "Well... darlin' why don't we get settled in our room?" Doc suggested. Violet felt his hand gently pressing on her back, urging her to move. She smiled graciously at Wyatt. 

        "It was lovely meeting you, Wyatt." 

        Wyatt smiled some and tipped his hat in reply as the two walked away. Violet sighed a little. She kept quiet while they brought their things into the hotel room. She was a little irritated... She bit the inside of her cheek in thought while she hung her dresses up in the wardrobe over in the corner of the room. 

        Their room was simple... a full-sized bed, vanity, wardrobe... well... at least it was simple compared to her room in Georgia. This room was probably lavish compared to the places people slept in around there. 

        She looked back over her shoulder at Doc. Violet was so confused. What was all of this about? ...Why did he suddenly care? Was it a facade or something else...?