Chapter 12: The Lawman

The sun had began to rise the next morning by the time that Violet woke up. It would seem that she'd fallen asleep in the brush where she lay down the previous night. Her eyes fluttered open and immediately shut tight due to the blinding light from the sun.

"Miss Holliday what are you doin' layin' in the grass like that?" She heard a familiar voice ask her.

"Just... Feelin' sorry for myself is all..." She sat up and wiped her eyes off. Not only was she a little hung over but she ached from sleeping on the ground and well... She had cried her eyes out the night before.

Violet glanced up and saw none other than Wyatt Earp. He was looking down at her with concern in his bright eyes. Violet shook her head and stood up with some help from him. She sighed, brushing the dirt and grass off her dress.

"This has to do with Doc doesn't it...?" He asked though it was more of a statement than a question. Violet nodded, working in vain to fix her hair up.
"I don't much appreciate being lied to or deceived... Oh I shouldn't be complaining to you... You have much bigger things to worry about, I'm sure." She tried her best to walk back to the hotel despite having sprained her ankle somehow. She wasn't sure how she didn't notice it the night before. It hurt pretty bad...

Violet nearly fell over and Wyatt caught her. No, her heart didn't skip a beat nor did she blush like she always did when Doc touched her. Wyatt was indeed handsome but well he was no Doc.

"Let me escort you back to the hotel room..." He suggested, holding her up. Violet nodded and hissed in pain when she tried to put weight on her ankle.

"Easy... I got you." Wyatt smiled wryly as he helped her into the hotel. Violet shrugged from under his hold and smiled weakly back at him.

"I should walk the rest by  myself... He doesn't much like lawmen..."

Wyatt nodded in understanding and turned to leave, letting Violet limp her way back into the room she shared with Doc. He was sitting up in bed smoking a cigarette. He looked tired and a little worse than the night before.

"I was wonderin' when you'd return to me..." he drawled, taking a drag. Violet scowled at him and limped into the room, sitting on the bed next to him.

"Even if I'm angry with you... I still love you... Though you did deceive me."

"Where did you go?" He asked her with a small glance in her direction.

"I slept in the brush last night..." She replied dryly. Violet wrung her hands and looked back at him.

"What exactly is the nature of our relationship? You confuse me so... One minute I believe you care for me and then the next..." Violet trailed off. She had to know though. Was she hanging onto something that was never there to begin with?

Doc put his cigarette out in the tray on the nightstand. With a heavy sigh he pulled her close. He smelled musky with a hint of cigarette smoke though it wasn't at all unpleasant. Doc was aloof most of the time. He was suave but not quite a romantic.

"Don't take me for a ride, Doc..." Violet whispered quietly.

"Now darlin' why would I do such a thing?"

"Because... Because you can't really love me." Doc's brows rose at her allegation.

"Is that a fact?" He replied almost smugly.

"Well... I believe so."

"I don't."