CHAPTER EIGHTY-ONE

After probably the best birthday party to date, Eleanor slept peacefully into the late morning hours

After probably the best birthday party to date, Eleanor slept peacefully into the late morning hours. Her slumber was not disrupted by nightmares or negative thoughts, but rather she was lulled to sleep by wonderful memories of spending time with her family and friends. With the party ending past midnight, Eleanor made sure to set an alarm especially since Grandpa Lyall made plans to take her to the Ministry of Magic in the afternoon for her Apparition Test. She did manage to wake up before her alarm though to the smells of breakfast being cooked downstairs.

Making her way to the bathroom, she showered and brushed her teeth before heading back to her room and getting dressed. Grabbing Fred's jumper that she had packed away in her trunk, she slipped it on, hoping that it would bring her some good luck with her test. Getting dressed the rest of the way, she proceeded to make her way down to the kitchen, expecting to see her parents or maybe Nixie or Sirius sharing in some food. However, as she walked in, the kitchen was empty as was the living room.

She was just about to call out to see who was awake when she heard voices sound from the back garden. The window over the sink was open, leaving her the perfect opportunity to eavesdrop on the conversation. At first, Eleanor was against the idea of being nosy, but as soon as she heard her name, she simply couldn't help herself. Approaching the window, she easily recognised her father's voice, along with Nixie's.

"I guess it was ignorant of me to believe that everything was over after the war," Nixie said, "even if I didn't like how things ended up, I was foolish to believe that it was all over for good. To believe that Voldemort had been truly destroyed, I feel like such an idiot. I mocked his followers for every believing that one day he would return and now look at where we are."

"I don't think it was a matter of ignorance, Nixie," Remus told her, "The majority of believed that he was gone, even a lot of his own followers did. What happened that night with Harry, we couldn't have known it was going to end like that. And he vanished, we all thought he was destroyed, and I suppose in some ways, he was. His body was destroyed. It had to be after what Harry witnessed. It sounded like a rebirth of sorts. I don't know how he managed to do that besides some obvious dark magic."

"I don't know," she replied, "throughout everything that happened around that time, I remember how stunned I was that Harry had survived the Killing Curse. The same curse that took the lives of some of the greatest witches and wizards of our times. He managed to survive and was only left with a scar. I never thought I would hear anything like it again and then...then...Ellie...your daughter...how does it even work?"

Remus shook his head. "Truth be told, Eleanor isn't even sure of it. She's insisted over and over that she doesn't place any enchantment on the garments, she's not even thinking about magic when she's knitting. I don't know how it works but I assume because she uses her wand to knit, the magic itself is going into the yarn itself."

"What made her think to use her wand in the first place?"

Before Remus could respond, Eleanor heard some movement from behind and glanced over her shoulder. She became startled by Sirius appearing behind her causing her to cry out. Her spying came to an end as Remus and Nixie rushed back inside to see what had happened. Upon seeing Eleanor clutching the front of her jumper and trying to catch her breath, the two adults looked over to Sirius with accusing looks.