Chapter 2

'I still don't believe that nonsense', I insist while doing Saturday morning push-ups together with Jason.

'I mean, they were dreams. Damn scary ones at that. How that design ended up in that rotten old book beats me. I thought it was a part of my imagination!'. I drop flat on my stomach then turn so that I'm laying on my back, facing the ceiling.

I had recurring dreams last year that caused an awful case of insomnia and random blackouts on some nights . It was a very strange and difficult time of the year for me.

What really bothers me is that even though I was never able to recall the nature of the dreams once I awoke, the cold sweats and shiver spells I had was proof enough that they were pretty darn scary dreams. Or nightmares.

What I did remember, though, was a tattoo-like design. It's an elaborate and very intricate design which I masterfully managed to copy down after first seeing it.

When Jay dragged me to the library yesterday, he showed me that book which contained that exact same design on the fly leaf. Just looking at it triggered some barely forgotten, yet unknown fears to flood me.

The shivering, sweating and temporary paralysis was enough to get Jay and I to realise that there's something about that pattern. Something odd.

We didn't discuss our 'discovery' yesterday because I was too shaken up about it and from Jay's facial expression, I know he felt as crappy as I looked. But as soon as I woke up (at about 5 am) that's what we discussed.

Nearly 6 hours later, it's still what we're discussing.

Jason pauses and looks at me.

'Well, it obviously wasn't part of your imagination if it was in that book. The fact that you dreamt of some intricate tattoo thing which coincidentally happened to be in a dusty old book is what's puzzling me'.

I don't say anything. He continues.

'Are you sure you haven't perhaps seen a design like that in a book or magazine or something? Before you dreamt about it, I mean.'

It feels like déjà vu as Jason asks me these questions. For some reason, it feels as if he's already asked me the same questions when I was still being haunted by the nightmares. But I can't seem to remember so I lay still before answering.

'No. I'm absolutely positive that it was the first time that I saw that design in my dreams. I haven't seen it anywhere before the dreams'.

'What I'm also pretty damn confused about is how perfectly you managed to draw that tattoo-thing. It looked pretty intricate, how you managed to draw it beats me, considering your art skills suck.' He said in a strange tone of suspicion paired with amusement.

I was also surprised at how accurately I managed to draw such a thing. My artistic abilities are practically non-existent and to be able to draw something like that, the artist needs to have had some sort of practice. I didn't practise-ever.

'Look Jay, I don't like the suspicion in your tone. If I'm saying that I didn't  see that design before the dreams then I mean it and as for how I managed to draw it, don't ask because I still don't know', I say while looking right at him.My irritation shows clearly on my face.

He holds his hands up defensively and says, 'okay. I believe you'.

'What was that book anyways? And how did you find it in the first place?', I ask him and then turn to face the ceiling again.