Instead of answering me he looks to where Kankuro is seated by me and says " You've been gone for hours. It's time for her to go back to my office, and I know that you've been summoned by the elders so I came to escort her."

"Why so you can chain me up like some kind of monster again?"

His gaze flashes to mine again and I do my best to not look away. I feel movement behind me and silently hope that Kai doesn't do anything stupid.

"Excuse my interruption Lord Kazekage, but i can escort Reima back to your office if you allow her to stay out a while longer. After all i am already a jonin rank. I'm sure she could use a bit more of fresh air, and it could keep her from going stir crazy too. Just a thought."

Gaara doesn't say anything for a while before he gives me one last look and closes his eyes, "Very well, but if you're not back by sun down I will find you myself."

I give him a lazy four finger salute and drop my gaze to the table. Stupid jerk, treating me like im some kind of prisoner. You are a prisoner. Some part of my mind reminds me. Always a prisoner.

The meat in my mouth goes sour and the thought of another bite makes me feel sick. I sigh and push the plate to my right where Kai has taken Kankuro's seat. He eyes me a bit carefully and gives me a small smirk.

"You alright? Or has the meat finally gotten to you?"

I force a smirk in return and raise one of my eyebrows "nah I just dont feel like making Kankuro hate me anymore than he already does for cleaning out his wallet."

Kai's blue eyes stare into mine for a while more until he finally gets up and nods towards the door, "C'mon I wanna show you something before your prison ward calls you in."

At this my other brow joins the first one and a genuine smile etches it's way on my lips for a split second. We make our way out onto the street where people are hurrying to get to their next destination before the sun sets.

We walk in silence for a while and my gaze softens at the vision of a peaceful village. Kuremeah shifts around behind her bars and opens one pale eye. Yes I suppose it has been a while since we've stayed in a village as in tune as this. I nod a bit and look up at Banshee walking along side us on the rooftops.

"So you got the kill order huh, where are you taking me?"

Kai makes a face and looks down at me, "what?"

My topaz eyes meet his briefly and I force them to harden a bit, "Don't play dumb Kai, I know that people want me dead. Besides you don't even know me so why are you being so nice?"

He stops dead in the street and narrows his gaze, "I'm not on a mission, and I definitely don't want you dead Reima. You seem kinda lonely so I thought I'd give you some company."

A scoff huffs out of me and I cast my line of sight down the nearly empty pathway. I don't need friends that will probably just give me up the moment he offers them whatever it is their heart desires.

"Look I get it that you're not very trusting, but at least give me a chance to be your acquaintance," he pauses and leans down, "what are you running from that's making you so afraid Reima?"

My head shoots up at his words and a hard frown finds a home on my face. Before I know it my feet are moving back and distance between the jonin and I is growing. I feel a tang of guilt hit my heart but the need to get away overpowers it.

"I'm sorry for this but I think I'll head back on my own. Don't worry about getting in trouble. I'll tell Gaara that I snuck away from you to go exploring and ditched you." I call out before taking off and jumping on Banshee as he runs along side me.

Everything around me is familiar yet so unwelcoming at the same time. The streets seem to grow more narrow and the lights from the buildings all blur as I focus on the strong heartbeat beneath me. Sooner than I'd thought we arrived at the main entrance to the Kazekage's office. The guards stare in slight shock as I walk through the doors and make my way up the stairs. With a soft knock I enter without waiting for a response. The scent of papers and earth fills my nose and I inhale deeply before looking up to see a shocked Gaara hunched over a stack of files on his desk.

"Reima?"

I give him a small smirk, "Surprised? What did you think I'd try to breakout again?"

"Yes."

"I told you already. The only reason I'm trying to leave is to protect you all, but I guess that makes me some kind of criminal," I mutter, "but hey once a prisoner always a prisoner right?"

Without another word I lay down in my usual spot cuddled up against Banshee and let myself drift of to sleep. For once in the last week the familiar ring of sand doesn't wind itself around my ankle.

Before I slip into full dream state I swear I hear the faint sound of his voice sigh my name in sadness.

'Just give it time Reima. He will help us'

*third person POV*

Gaara watches as Reima finally stills in her sleep. Sleep hadn't made him wonder about things like dreams or nightmares since he was very young. However, with the way Reima had been shifting around and muttering, a small amount of curiosity crossed his mind.

'Why don't you try going to sleep and find out for yourself' Shukaku tempted but the Kazekage ignored the beast inside him.

Reima didn't seem like the type to let others know when things were bothering her. Not necessarily by nature but more so because she learned to not rely on others. They really weren't that different after all.

Gaara's mind couldn't help but wonder what Naruto would do. Of course Reima was right when she said they hadn't been friends since they were young, but that friendship was one of the only things that kept the boy from breaking sooner than he had in the past.

Would he outright just ask? Or would he take a quieter approach and leave a small message for her when she woke up? It was strange that he worried about those things, but to him Reima was still a friend. He wasn't keeping her there to interrogate her. He just wanted to keep her safe from whatever it was that had made the warmth in her bright eyes turn cold.

He stared back up from his paperwork to where she laid next to the giant canine. He'd help her whether she liked it or not.

-------------------------------------------------

SO SO SO SO SORRY THIS IS PROBABLY REALLY DISAPPOINTING. ANYHOES YOU KNOW THE DRILL.

LIKE
COMMENT
VOTE

GO GO GO.